A place for straight men

It was a hone used by barbers for touch up. A polishing stone. Back in the day they were around 8k and used daily or between shaves to keep a fine edge.

I have a naniwa SS in 1000
Seems nice enough. Need to get a lower grit for some of my eBay specials though.

I have a xoticule too.

One day I'll be able to get back to it

I have a naniwa SS in 1000
Seems nice enough. Need to get a lower grit for some of my eBay specials though.

I have a xoticule too.

One day I'll be able to get back to it
All these lapsed str8-shooters! My, my... Confession time lads!

All these lapsed str8-shooters! My, my... Confession time lads!

Hopefully not lapsed.... Dormant! But No longer!

So I ordered a 1/4 cut 12k Chinese barbers hone from whipped dog.

It's 2x4x1/2 inches, for 20usd that's about what postage is for any swaty from ebay. Hope it works ok, if it does that's the cost of one honing and I've recouped my cost! Time to study honing....

Mate if you have any questions feel free to start a honing thread. I have read that the Chinese hones cut very slowly, so you will need patients, but you won't accidentally hone the razor away lol.

Mate if you have any questions feel free to start a honing thread. I have read that the Chinese hones cut very slowly, so you will need patients, but you won't accidentally hone the razor away lol.

I'll need patients? To practice on? Whose first?[emoji12]

Thanks Ybbor I'll need all the help I can I'm sure. I'm hoping I can give it a few stroke each week or something

Hard to say. But the trick will be if OZ used tape or not to set the bevel. Take some pics and post on here so I can see curve and bevel and spine wear

I nearly bought a red imp earlier today, then decided it was a stupid idea as I've already bought a straight previously and that sat collecting dust until I sent it to GT.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281499939114

In the same vein I just missed out on some Vintage Wilkies because my Snipe failed as I forgot to change my default home address to the UK.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/151479209631

What can you tell me from these shots Ybbor? Bit hard to get good macro on a phone camera. Otherwise I can just email oz

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416967477.197482.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1416967490.798037.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1416967502.348129.jpg

Oh good!! Looks like the edge is not smiling or frowning, and I can see wear marks on the spine that look fresh. To me it likely that it was honed without tape (I prefer that way myself). But email oz is recommended. If it was taped and you hone untaped or vice a versa then your angles and therefore edge will be stuffed. Then you have to reset the bevel, and that will be very very slow on a 12k.

Oz - the good man that he is, replied swiftly and was fairly positive.

"That could work depending on the stone of course. Try even less strokes at first,say 5. Try with water only , no slurry & even try it dry like a barber hone. I don’t use tape as a rule."

Bingo - that should make it straightforward. I'll try 5 strokes every week and see how that edge takes that

Yeah but of a black art on how the stone and crox works together. I haven't got it consistent yet myself. I also play with different razors which I shouldn't, because I then can't hone in on how I like my blade. So to speak

Your in Borked, in with a grin! Good man, welcome welcome. The enabling has only just begun [emoji4] have you a nice strop?

Errm, kind of added the straights collection image to that post now.
Yes, I've my grandfathers vintage strop.
Been using it to sharpen my work multiknife.
Gives me feedback as to my stropping technique and smooths out the creases from decades of storage.

Hi borked! Have a think about a leather conditioner for the strop and you defiantly want to with no kinks for the straight.

I cut my first strop up a bit, but a very fine grit sandpaper helped me fix it all up.

Oh and really good choice on razor! Beautiful!!!