Shave of the Day 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the risk of upsetting SYD and losing my discount on discounted menthol creams, I gave up on Smogs because they were fickle. I upsized believing I'd not have lather problems, but they all seemed to do it. My 830 tuned into a boiled noodle after 3 weeks. It got replaced for free, the second did the same.

Omegas knots are 'honest'. They don't squeeze a tiny knot into a funnel cup. So if it's 23mm that's roughly the size of the knot. Smogs are more like 18 and that pinched splay makes them seem bigger and is why they go weird when damp.

Break in with boars is mostly a YKW myth, where you're supposed to put up with crap performance for a month or 2000 shaves, whichever comes sooner. Yes, they soften over time, but they should all work as expected from Day 1. All my omegas have. They just need a lot less soaking when they've had a run in.

Today was a test day for two new items I have read about here.

Soap: Tobs shaver shop
Blade: Astra, my standard tester blade

New Brush: pill Synth
New Razor: weber classic

Overall a really excellent shave, however was it any better than my other shaves....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414816633.457495.jpg

The Pill synth, yes it lathers very well, yes it's very very soft and floppy and gentle on the face, I bowl lathered today and painted / lathered up. Did the job well, but for now I like my simo brushes much more. I also found this so very close to the body shop synth.

Be an animal lover... Go badger :)

The Webber R, truly beautiful razor. Maybe the best made in my collection, challenged by the ikon and feather SS but I think it leads. With the Astra it shaves very very nicely, better than 38c, well no, just different. The webber is a little more aggressive but still smooth, but I feel the 38c is more smooth, maybe I need to try a feather in it next.

Verdict, 2 great products!!! Not the best I have used, but it's coming down to personal preference now as they are competing against the best I have found in years of wet shaving :)

At the risk of upsetting SYD and losing my discount on discounted menthol creams, I gave up on Smogs because they were fickle. I upsized believing I'd not have lather problems, but they all seemed to do it. My 830 tuned into a boiled noodle after 3 weeks. It got replaced for free, the second did the same.

Omegas knots are 'honest'. They don't squeeze a tiny knot into a funnel cup. So if it's 23mm that's roughly the size of the knot. Smogs are more like 18 and that pinched splay makes them seem bigger and is why they go weird when damp.

Break in with boars is mostly a YKW myth, where you're supposed to put up with crap performance for a month or 2000 shaves, whichever comes sooner. Yes, they soften over time, but they should all work as expected from Day 1. All my omegas have. They just need a lot less soaking when they've had a run in.
Mate this should be a sticky on the Brush Forum. Nice work! I'm giving the Smogs an honest go. But I suspect you might be right mate. 'ken spot on with the YKW mythology….always bothered me TBH

The Webber R, truly beautiful razor. Maybe the best made in my collection, challenged by the ikon and feather SS but I think it leads. With the Astra it shaves very very nicely, better than 38c, well no, just different. The webber is a little more aggressive but still smooth, but I feel the 38c is more smooth, maybe I need to try a feather in it next.

Verdict, 2 great products!!! Not the best I have used, but it's coming down to personal preference now as they are competing against the best I have found in years of wet shaving :)

So which razor do you rate more highly, performance-wise, than the Weber? The 38c?

So which razor do you rate more highly, performance-wise, than the Weber? The 38c?[/QUOTE]

Yes for me the 38c and 38m are slightly better due to being less aggressive. Build of webber is better.

I haven't yet managed to part with any of my razors, although there are quite a few I should move on.

I am going to see how it goes over some time, and a few blades.

My top razors are
38c. Webber, futur, vision in that order.

I'm happy to keep the Derbys are crap meme going. I tried one a few months back. Lasted half a shave. Crap.
As the site moderator, could you discretely express my concern over his Derby post, in particular the possible repercussions of him being banned being counter productive for us all for posting such ?

Razor: Superspeed Red Tip 1955
Blade: Astra Superior Platinum @2
Cream: Yardley Gooooold (It's a correct chaving cream with a little cooling effect but I'm not sure about the odd scent thought : / Anyway, I purchased it so I will use it)
A.F: Pinaud Clubman Virgin Volcanic Island Bay Rum ( Rule #1: Never take a deep breath of that stuff, you might choke on the alcohol vapors)

Today's shave,

Soap, Tobs shaver shop
Blade, Astra SP
Brush, back to milk churn
Razor, weber R. Hmm another amazing shave, and I realise now why I like my 38c more. The slightly more aggressive weber gave me a whole bunch of ingrown hairs.

I used futur on 1, slim on 1 etc. my sensitive skin just can't take the aggressive razors.

Shave no 3 with the P74. It's got that long haul feel to it. Still as sharp as so I think I can say it'll go for a while yet.
The rest:
BS re-knot (that stands for butterscotch for the uninitiated peeps who aren't brush tragics)
Tabac cream

Futur on 1 is like slim on 9 though :?

I actually find that the futur can be used really gently on 1. I have blood let a couple of times when careless. Futur used to be my dream machine, then came the 38c.

I am thinking if I can tame the weber for my face then it would be the dream machine, but so far astras were the smoothest of shaves for me....

I used futur on 1, slim on 1 etc. my sensitive skin just can't take the aggressive razors.
Hmmm…well then maybe Weber isn't the razor for you? I love my Weber and need my Slim dialled to around 7 to do my bidding - anything less than 5 isn't fun or pretty.

I am thinking if I can tame the weber for my face then it would be the dream machine, but so far astras were the smoothest of shaves for me....
Mate I've found the IP Reds (and PSS) work well for me in the Weber - I found the Astras a little scratchy - the Red is a nice balance between smooth and sharp so might suit you. You got any to take for a spin? If not let me know.

Brush: Frank Shaving Badger
Pre-Shave: Occams Original Pre-shave
Soap/Cream: Occams Original Shave Cream
Razor: Progress (3)
Blade: Rapira [1]
After-shave: Myrsol Formula F

Nothing beats a weekend shave- especially after a day's rest.

Rapira blade was good. Comfortable and didn't draw blood. I'll see how it goes with a few more shaves.

Brush: Frank Shaving Badger
Pre-Shave: Occams Original Pre-shave
Soap/Cream: Occams Original Shave Cream
Razor: Progress (3)
Blade: Rapira [1]
After-shave: Myrsol Formula F

Nothing beats a weekend shave- especially after a day's rest.

Rapira blade was good. Comfortable and didn't draw blood. I'll see how it goes with a few more shaves.
…and how was the Formula F?

…and how was the Formula F?
Not bad but not a stand out. Didn't linger as long, nor as distinct as the AB. A bit sweeter than Floid and less menthol (that can be remedied). Soothes the face well though.

Went and bought another 10$ straight off of eBay. Arrived yesterday, Honed and Stropped it for today's shave.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414935118.249992.jpg
( had to use the real hone rather than just the Barber hone),
Shaved well, not fantastic, but a good solid shave.

You don't have a spare barbers hone johnus?

Today's cream - Gft almond sample.

Yuck.

I don't want wedding cake icing for lather.

I would never part with polymer for this experience. Bay rum was applied with liberal abandon afterwards.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.