Omega boar brush $20

Adam

good morning all, I have a quick question... I currently use a Omega hi brush purchased from men's biz, I think it was around $30 so around $10 more than there omega boars. To start with the brush was great it was so so soft like a cloud on my face however I am now wondering if it is to soft. The other issue I have is when it's wet it's wet and when it's dry it's really dry, eg 2 shakes in the bath tub and it's literally dry. I have since seen a local seller selling the omega boar for $20 and im not sure if to go get it. What are your thoughts? Or should I just buy a decent badger and be done with it?

The Hi Omegas are synthetic? I guess that why they'll dry quickly.

Nothing wrong with Omega boars, they'll make as good lather as a badger for a lot less $$. The preference for badger just costs more. Mark might still have some reknots for sale, they'd be the buckbangingest available IMO.

Yea that's why I'm thinking of going the omega boar as my Hi synthetic just feels too soft. It's ok but when I watch YouTube vids the boars seem to be that little bit stiffer and can get lathers quite a bit easier than I seem to.

........ Mark might still have some reknots for sale, they'd be the buckbangingest available IMO.

Personally know nothing about synthetics. They have gone from being generally scoffed at to having dedicated followers with a commensurate available range of different quality knots. If you face lather you can't go wrong with your standard Omega boar. Just buy an el-cheapo and see how you go. And remember that a boar knot is boar knot is a boar knot. Any mention of high quality boar bristle is complete bullshit.

I agree that a re-knot from @Mark1966 is a really nice affordable option but not sure what he's got left. He sold one to @JugV2 (actually that's two because I buggered the first one which was a first for me too), another one to @stillshunter and Marks own son, given the choice of a highly collectible NOS Simpson and a re-knot chose the latter. I have to admit that made me genuinely do my very first and to date only LOL. The problem with most affordable badger brushes is that they in my opinion generally have too much loft and they tend to also be pretty moppy. If they offer ones with a lower loft (such as for instance the Simpson Chubby) they make up for this by stuffing it with more bristle. You can ask @Drubbing what he thinks of that one. Basically a monster mop that won't release lather. On the other hand it looks good in lather pictures which I think is all it's good for and what most sad brushies are really after anyhow. If you're looking for a badger I'd go for a smallish Simpson in best. I've taken my own advise to the extreme and my only Simpson is a Wee Scot. If you don't mind the size it's an amazing little brush.

I've no experience with synths either, but a few here have recently bought the Plisson ones, which likely perform around the same, despite the massive difference in price.

Boar wil give you that scrub, but they soften up very nicely. My 10005 is going on 3 years and gets rather too soft for me if I let it soak. But is otherwise still a good scrubby, soft brush for around $15.

If badger is what you really want, I'd be prepared to pay $100 and get a mid range Simpson, like a Classic 1 or Duke 1 or 2. @stillshunter has a very nice Duke 2 for sale at a decent price, and he's got wriggle room.

Hmmmm decisions.. Im not sure if I can justify 100 clams on a brush. But I really want to at the same time haha.

Get a custom made Whipped Dog Silvertip badger for just over $40 from the U.S.
My Omega pro gets used less and less. Great brush and also have a omega synthetic but my Silvertip is fast becoming my favourite brush. I had mine sunk a bit lower in the handle so not so floppy.

My vote's on a STF2 (Muhle SilverTip Fibre Version 2) - found in Muhle, Edwin Jagger and many others - such as my Aesop. I've found the 23mm a nice size indeed. The STF2 behaves move predictably than any natural fibre and if I had to choose a single brush then my STF2 would be it - yep I'd leave the boars (both Omega and Semogue) and badgers (Simpsons mainly) behind. Luckily nobody has a gun to my head, yet, so I have the choice to maintain a few options - including a Plisson synth one day.

Having said all that a nice classic Simpsons (of your choice) on offer on the BST at the moment…some classics in Best that are guaranteed not to shed!…and around the same price as a new synthetic :whistle:

The Omega Hi-Brush range wasn't overly well received - latest gen synths will perform better but why not just spend the $20, get the Omega Boar, which they have a VERY good reputation for and see if it suits you - allowing a few weeks+ for it to break in.

Worst case you've spent $20 on a rotation brush that won't be your fave.

Badger is hit and miss and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more variable due to the different 'grades' of hair + loft height + density of knot etc. Keep it simple and value oriented and start with the low hanging fruit first. No brainer IMHO.

The Omega Hi-Brush range wasn't overly well received - latest gen synths will perform better but why not just spend the $20, get the Omega Boar, which they have a VERY good reputation for and see if it suits you - allowing a few weeks+ for it to break in.

Worst case you've spent $20 on a rotation brush that won't be your fave.

Badger is hit and miss and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more variable due to the different 'grades' of hair + loft height + density of knot etc. Keep it simple and value oriented and start with the low hanging fruit first. No brainer IMHO.
Jeez NtK, that all sounds so damn sensible. Have you earned your Enabler badge yet mate?

I highly recommend the Vulfix #374 - basically a small Simpsons Super Badger. You can get it from The Superior Shave for a Smidge under USD$50, the postage on top. Feels luxuriously soft on the face, but plenty of backbone.

I grabbed mine from Massdrop during a recent deal, although it took 8 weeks to arrive. Cost me under AUD$50 delivered & Forex.

I ended up purchasing the Omega rosewood boar from mensbiz. Hopefully i like it....
Let us know what you think of it. Post a short post of your thoughts after using it a while. Thanks!

Came in the post today, amazing shipping times from mensbiz. Initial thoughts are good, alot more backbone and thicker feel than the Hi brush. I lathered up some crap evylyn shave soap to try. Guves a much scrubbier feel.
I had heard from multiple people that omega's don't shed. However I've already lost about 10-15 hairs from it, just loose hairs I've been pulling out.

It shouldn't shed, but a few loose ones when cleaning it before use is rare, but not unknown. 15 probably is a concern though. If it's still happening in a week, send it back. Nathan will replace it.

I haven't had an Omega drop a single bristle, even during cleaning.

They get softer tips with use. They are great.

10-15 hairs in the first use, where's all the Omega haters ?

Agreed! This is super unfair for Adam - he splurged and, instead, got splashed in the face. An Omega you must enjoy mate. PM coming your way…I think you'll be better served by, and get better milage from, @SmallYetDeadly 's recent PIF to me, this Omega 10029 - scientifically tested to retain hair. A damn fine piggy starter!