Your Vintage Or Modern Razor Blade Collection

Nice collection PS. Have you dared to sneak one blade or a use out of many/any of them? Or are they VERY strictly just for looking at and NO TOUCHING ALLOWED!....?

Monsta will give us a pic of his collection sometime soon but he'll have to ensure he's got a wide angle lens or similar. Perhaps stitch a number of pix together in a panoramic effect? I'd not bore you with one of mine - VERY dull ~2500 Gillette Malties, ~1000 PSS, ~500 Polsilver Browns/Tans, ~300 Astra SP, ~300 Shark Super and a lot of smaller numbers etc but basically all modern blades.

Al the boxes and bag in the center are full but I have tried some of the vintage blades in the bag on the right over the years
but they don't compare to modern blades for sharpness (to much push to much claret)

Nice - a collector!

There is a guys in CBR who is/was collecting blades but more individual ones - he had a stack of them

Nice - a collector!

There is a guys in CBR who is/was collecting blades but more individual ones - he had a stack of them
Whould he be speaking in the third tense in the quoted post above ?

So what has an old Bengal straight razor got to do with vintage and modern de blades mate???
It inspired King Gillette to invent the DE.

So what has an old Bengal straight razor got to do with vintage and modern de blades mate???

Being a straight razor user (which does, let's face it, engender a bit of superiority) he's quite rightly pointing out that DE shaving is a bit naff if all you need is one blade. And what a blade it is. I've seen many a straight razor pictures but that one just does it for me. For some reason it looks like the ultimate no no nonsense top of the range straight.

Thanks for coming to my defence boys while was out shaving.

Agent Smith - I don't post too much very serious on here, so if it offends your sensibilities assume tongue was firmly in cheek when it was written

Thanks for coming to my defence boys while was out shaving.

Agent Smith - I don't post too much very serious on here, so if it offends your sensibilities assume tongue was firmly in cheek when it was written
It is the way I see things (as my misses has pointed out once or twice ( or thousand times)
I only see things black or white yes or no and speak accordingly.
Its me who should apologise mate.

If you two keep apologising and being so 'gentlemanly' you might find that ban stick coming out!

Just abuse each other in the great Aussie tradition and keep the bastards honest :)

Did he just utter the "G" word ?

No worthy pictures of my stash. I've plonked the whole lot in to a tupperware container with a few bags of desiccant crystals. In order to make it all fit in to the smallest container possible I ripped them all out of their cardboard and bubble packaging. Just think, all that NOS Schick and Gillette wrapping in the trash can waiting for landfill disposal. I think a few might have even had "The Spoiler" written across them. I can just see you sad vintage blades collectors gasp and then pink away a tear or two of frustration and rage.

Last edited:
What straights do you have PJ?
None. Every time I see a picture of a nice straight I want one. I'd love to but in my mind I can justify the DE/SE shaving thing as a somewhat obscure old fashioned exercise that serves a purpose but if I were to dive in to straights I'd have to join and agree with the current family chorus of declaring me stark raving mad. It's sad really. I could go out and buy even more stones, leather strops etc etc. Right up my alley. An alley leading to asylums and madness.

Or the one of each route :). And you can sharpen kitchen knives with your hones :).

This is true but most kitchen knives really don't need or shouldn't for safety reasons or in fact can't, take sharpening down to 6000/8000 grit level. 1000/1500 and you can slice unripe tomatoes by simply dropping them on an upturned blade. Well........almost! Well......actually never tried that. Well........what do you take me for, a kitchen knife tragic?