Shave of the Day 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never used a stick. Do you mean you rub the stick on your face first? Or load up the brush from the stick?

As SYD has said, apply stick to face. Don't use too much otherwise you'll have lather dripping down to your elbow. I'm always surprised how little I need. Couple of rubs here and there and Bobs your uncle. You'll soon find out. You'll be dumping your lathering bowls very soon. Face loading is the best way to go. You get a really good feel for when your lather is right. You can actually hear it too. You learn to appreciate what a good brush is really like rather than a paint brush or a tool you use to transfer lather to your face.

I have been shaving but since it has all been like my last one I haven't had anything worthwhile to write about. Decided on a change up today, same brush, same razor and blade but changed to a stick for lathering. I remembered from the last time I used this stick that you had to rub hard against the face especially under the nose. Nice lather nice shave - ARKO!!!! rules.
Are you dipping it in hot water and allowing it to rest for a few minutes before use ?
I found hat softened the soap.

Never used a stick. Do you mean you rub the stick on your face first? Or load up the brush from the stick?
Both, hit a wet face with a wet stick and then twist the brush a few times around the stick and then face lather the two.

The beard is gone - so the bearded monkey goes with it - new avatar so went with the star of one of my all-time fave movies, which I watched for probably around the 10th time a few days ago.

Anyway after pruning the beard the shave was done with:

Mike's Natural Soap (Lavender/Euca + Lemongrass samples)
Lord L6
Feather
Vie Long Peleon

Amazing how much your stubble softens after not having been shaven for several months. Might make the beard an annual event but only being able to do my neck was a PITA and got very annoyed skin on my top lip so happy to say adieu to the facemuff with summer approaching.

Welcome back to full membership :LOL:
Thank you, it's good to be back.

You know with the big four-oh my next birthday, hair on one's body is a touchy subject. Alas for me many moons ago some moron up in my brains 'Hair Allocation Department' signed off on ceasing bodily funding/terminating my head hair follicles from the top of my cranium. If that wasn't bad enough the nitwit had the hair resources REALLOCATED to my back and shoulders!!!! o_O

A friend of mine used to take great pleasure in telling me that I had to be cautious of walking around outside with my shirt off as some Hunter might mistake me for a trophy beast and the next thing I'd know some couple would be shagging on top of me in front of an open fire! :eek:

First shave tonight with my new stuff to try!

Occams original soap and the Razorock Zi peppino balm

Taking advice I only used a small dab of this soft soap and it lathered into a wonderful stable mass, after dabbing the tip of the brush in water it really worked up well. It held the moisture and didn't dry out and flake away, it was just as good at the end as the start! Creamy, no big bubbles or thin patches here!

The smell was like a traditional soap smell but with something familiar about it. I got to my neck before realising it was a faint cloves scent, like chai. This soon lingered away. I wasn't to taken by the scent myself I think I'd go for the crushed limes one. Perhaps the original is a warmer scent for cool weather and the limes a lighter brighter fragrance for summer? That's a guess.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414061183.399207.jpg

The Zi peppino balm is fairly thick like a moisturising cream more than a lotion. It doesn't run and will keep it's shape on your hand. It rubbed in well and absorbed in minutes. The scent is described as 'green tabacco' which reminded me of that old musky motor inn cabin you stayed in on the family holiday when you were a kid. Hmm it's given me a mild head ache but it might grow on me. The scent itself isn't strong, it's just a bit persistent.

Well the shave and balm qualities were good and the fragrance side is personal. Any else got a Razorock balm? I think I should have got the sandalwood one. I loved the Coates cream in sandalwood.

Next up! Edwin Jagger Aloe Vera

Any else got a Razorock balm?
I've got the Razorock Aftershave Wax (Cire Après-Rasage) which you won't like since its floral. Lavender and more... As far as balm goes it's terrific. It's really a thick cream that you dab and run into your skin. I love it.

Edwin Jagger shaving cream and aftershave lotion. (Pinauds bay rum after)

I asked for limes and got aloe Vera. Oh well. How good can aloe Vera be? My grandma used it for sunburn, that's about as exotic as it got.

Loaded two peas worth (using the official occams measuring standard) on my trusty travel brush, and it really did lather well! Very dense and smooth product. Heaps of lather. I could have shaved the whole bath towel. Smooth shaving without a hassle. For me, this lathered creamier than my jermyn street does.

The scent was fairly subdued and subtle but yet complex. This stuff makes you feel like a million bucks. I'm not sure how aloe Vera can be made so good? I'd certainly consider buying this cream.

The balm was fairly thick like sunscreen and like sunscreen seemed to sit white and bright on the skin for a few minutes. A bit of an oilyish film for a while but it's all absorbed in now. Balmy. Skin softening effects are right up there.

Bay rum splash was a nice little finish. It reminded me of a sample of col conks bay rum hard soap in a puk I got my first shaving order. Not knowing how to use it I got sick of large evaporating bubbles and razor burn and chucked it.

I'm very impressed with the EJ sample. If they can get aloe Vera this good their limes should be sensational

Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpsons Duke
Soap/Cream: Mikes Natural Soaps Hungarian Lavender
Razor: Weber PH w/- Bulldog handle
Blade: Astra SP - shave 1
After-shave: Lucky Tiger
Cologne: Vetiver Dry by Carven

Been a while and a few flights @filobiblic) since a SOTD entry.

The vintage Gillette Super Stainless - Made in France - got to shave 9 when I decided to pull the plug. Load the Astra to keep me going till I head off to the UK next week.

The vintage Gillette Super Stainless - Made in France - got to shave 9 when I decided to pull the plug. Load the Astra to keep me going till I head off to the UK next week.

Verdict versus the French Wilkies from England?

Didn't post it, but yesterday was Fatboy, Aussie spoiler about 4 shaves down, Simpsons Lavender & Vetiver, Vulfix #355.

Those Spoilers really do well after a few shaves, especially on the neck.

Verdict versus the French Wilkies from England?

On the basis of this blade I'd go the 'French' Wilkies from England BUT ...

this blade was pretty 'stuck' in the plastic holder and it took a bit of work to get it out. I wonder if that sort of thing does damage the edge so am reluctant to be too severe a critic.

I also got 9 shaves out of it!

......this blade was pretty 'stuck' in the plastic holder and it took a bit of work to get it out. I wonder if that sort of thing does damage the edge so am reluctant to be too severe a critic........

I get the same problem with Schicks. Blades stuck together. With my last dispenser, I shoved it in the micro wave for two seconds which seemed to work. Not something you want to experiment with for much longer than that. As I ony go through one ten blade dispenser of Schicks a year it's a slow trial and error process. In twenty years time I'll report back with optimal microwave times versus size of dispenser, pre and post dispenser temperatures, and a few PHD dissertations on the effect of microwave radiation on vintage shaving blades. You can then all bow down and call me Microwave Marco.

Today's pick from filos fantastic favourites

Razorock don marco

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414227017.216875.jpg

It's not actually play doh.

Lathering up transported me to a lolly shop in Laura. Sweet! Like shaving with fairy floss! Is this the play doh I'm smelling?

Luckily the pot informs me "fun to play with, but do not eat" well now that spoils that idea.

This is a bit more soapy than creamy, all went well. The lather was a bit thin, but I think it was because I didn't realise it was a harder cream and should have had my brush in hotter water to melt it. It didn't load very well and it was a bit rushed to go again. I'll have to see how it goes next time with the brush in hot water. User error.

Finished with a dab of bay rum. Bay rum is weaselling it's way into more shaves than I anticipated.

I can appreciate your bay rum comment @Nonick as I suspect the same will be occuring my way.
I rate it over the other after shaves in this box thus far.

I can appreciate your bay rum comment @Nonick as I suspect the same will be occuring my way.
I rate it over the other after shaves in this box thus far.
I'm a big Bay Rum fan I've come to realise.
(I've also discovered that there are two types: cowboy or sailor. One has more cloves than the other.)

Lathering up transported me to a lolly shop in Laura. Sweet! Like shaving with fairy floss! Is this the play doh I'm smelling?

"Orange Popsicle" some have called it. It's very sweet and very orange-y. It certainly grows on you- especially if you have a sweet tooth.

This is a bit more soapy than creamy, all went well. The lather was a bit thin, but I think it was because I didn't realise it was a harder cream and should have had my brush in hotter water to melt it. It didn't load very well and it was a bit rushed to go again. I'll have to see how it goes next time with the brush in hot water. User error.

Yep - user error with probably too little loading. RR gives one of the best lathers. Lovely stuff. Should be thick lather with no bubbles or dissipation.

Finished with a dab of bay rum. Bay rum is weaselling it's way into more shaves than I anticipated.

[emoji4] Mmmmmm. Bay Rum. Need to get me some Captian's Choice me-thinks...

Status
Not open for further replies.