Anyone want to try out the R41 Razor?

So first shave with the Muhle R41. Loaded with a fresh Vohkod which are a smooth blade for me. Took half the shave to find the best angle, which is a higher angle than my usual Merkur Progress or 38C. You certainly feel the blade across the skin- it's a bit hair-raising... When the angle wasn't there it skittered/tugged at the hairs.

Surprisingly no nicks (only a weeper or two) in the two pass shave. I took it very very slowly though. Very close on the two day growth but as good as another "aggressive" razor paired with a decent blade. Not sure I'd buy one as I have enough razors already and I don't see this becoming a daily razor. Still, I'll have a few more shaves with it and see what I think.

Round 2. The Beast Vs Skin. The Beast won today as the skin was levelled. Scrapped raw- one pass wasn't enough and two was too much... Alum. Sting. Facial moisturiser.

I'll let it out for another round later in the week, when enough hair has grown and my skin soothes a bit. Not a daily shaver for me!

The BloodLetter needs sacrifice...

I think BloodLetter is chomping at the bit to return to its Master... It remembers the sweet blood it's Master feeds it with and longs to drink deeply from him again.

Round 2. The Beast Vs Skin. The Beast won today as the skin was levelled. Scrapped raw- one pass wasn't enough and two was too much... Alum. Sting. Facial moisturiser.

I'll let it out for another round later in the week, when enough hair has grown and my skin soothes a bit. Not a daily shaver for me!

Way too aggressive for a daily shaver IMO. I just don't have the feather light touch that would demand or the inclination!

Way too aggressive for a daily shaver IMO. I just don't have the feather light touch that would demand or the inclination!
How about your Futur? I know it's new to you, but could it become a daily shaver for you?

I would need to become a daily shaver firstly :ROFLMAO:

Just on face feel so far I can see the Futur being able to go back to back to back on my schedule no problems but only experience will tell the full story.

The R41 I started to have some neck dramas with 3-4 in a row but that is my heavy hand/razor combo in fairness to the R41.

The R41 I started to have some neck dramas with 3-4 in a row but that is my heavy hand/razor combo in fairness to the R41.

This is the problem with the R41 - you need to be light in the touch with it. If you're going from a Krona or something like that (or a lighter than air Bakelite) then the R41 is going to punish you when you apply some pressure.

Last shave with the R41. Once again a fine, smooth result. A super light touch and maintaining a good cutting angle is what it needs. A few nicks from a new blade (Personna Med Prep) but more likely my own fault.

I found that I wouldn't use it as a daily shaver, but could see it in the same category as OC/slant (ie 'mow down the growth' category). Since I already have a few razors in that category I'll pass the purchase.

Thanks for the loan @JugV2
Now on to @borked for the final leg before being homeward bound...

I'm already all kinds of borked, whats the worse a silly little razor going to do ?

It will be interesting to compare it to the Pureman.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried the Pureman in the Box and found it to be a good razor..as a comparison to the R41 BloodLetter, the Pureman is more forgiving and easier to use.

Couldn't agree more @JugV2. Had good shaves with the Pureman, still have the plastic surgery scars from the R41. :)
Yeah, well next time you might take heed of others advise and attack swmbo's legs, rather than yours ;) *how's the recovery going btw ?*

Ok. The BloodLetter has been handed on. @borked will now take up the Beast for the final fling before returning to its Master.
(Thanks @JugV2 for the trial run. It was great to try.)