Hey guys

Welcome welcome. Tell us more about what you have in the way of razors, blades, brushes and soaps/creams.

As I'm just starting, I've got a merkur 23c, I don't really have a standard blade yet. I've tried willinson sword, merkur, personna blue and astra. My brush is a muhle pure badger and I'm using paraso green shaving soap and Nivea post shave balm. They all work well for me but I'm seriously thinkjng about purchasing a 37c slant

Welcome Bobby welcome!

This site is full of helpful generous people. I've only met lunatics so far, but I'm sure underneath their helpful and generous.

A DE is a good place to start, if your still enjoying it I suspect you might not have tried straights yet. One bright day you may feel you want something a bit more mettlesome and graduate to straight razor shaving :) Ahh nothing matches the bracing stroke of a straight.

Till then! Keep enjoying your shaves, what equipment and creams do you like? Used anything Turkish recently?

Monsta beat me to it!

+1 to Proraso Green

I definitely have plans to try straight razor, but I have a few skin imperfections so I'm not sure if it'll work for me. I was actually at the Camberwell market hoping to find a cheap straight blade to try, but wasn't lucky

Good gear there! I am keen on trying a slant bar myself.

I'm sure we can broaden the blade horizons too :)

Don't muck around if you go straights. Get something properly shave ready, not something great grandmother has been trimming her bunions with since hubby never came home from the Great War

Hmm there's a starting sweet spot for straights. You won't want an expensive one incase it doesn't work for you, but too cheap and most likely you'll have a very average shaving experience. Exactly what Syd said!

http://www.whippeddog.com/products/view/sight-unseen-razor

Larrys sight unseen razors are reasonable at $40 or so, they won't be pretty. They will function well and be sharp. Anyway something to think about.

I got my starting straight from Larry.

Not one of my subsequent, numerous eBay acquisitions has been on the same planet for sharpness.

Lord knows what I would have made of it if I tried to shave with them :laugh:

I got my starting straight from Larry.

Not one of my subsequent, numerous eBay acquisitions has been on the same planet for sharpness.

Lord knows what I would have made of it if I tried to shave with them :laugh:

How did the WD razor go for you SYD? It's what I would have got if I didn't restore the one I got given.

Have you ever bought from rspe7027 on ebay from Victoria? They look like good vintage razors

Have you ever bought from rspe7027 on ebay from Victoria? They look like good vintage razors
I got one. I've haven't had a chance to use it yet. Still be another few weeks before I can get to it.
They are good quality and match what he describes. I can't vouch for his shave-readiness but they are meant to be excellent. He uses a Suehiro Gokumyo 20k stone to finish them.

As I'm just starting, I've got a merkur 23c, I don't really have a standard blade yet. I've tried willinson sword, merkur, personna blue and astra. My brush is a muhle pure badger and I'm using paraso green shaving soap and Nivea post shave balm. They all work well for me but I'm seriously thinkjng about purchasing a 37c slant
Nice. You should try Natio for Men Calming Aftershave balm if you like the Nivea. It's similar but cheaper and Aussie. Around $12-13 for 200mL (cf 100mL for Nivea). It's a similar consistency but has a slight citrus scent. It's very good.

Welcome Bobby welcome!

This site is full of helpful generous people. I've only met lunatics so far, but I'm sure underneath their helpful and generous.

A DE is a good place to start, if your still enjoying it I suspect you might not have tried straights yet. One bright day you may feel you want something a bit more mettlesome and graduate to straight razor shaving :) Ahh nothing matches the bracing stroke of a straight.

Till then! Keep enjoying your shaves, what equipment and creams do you like? Used anything Turkish recently?
"..., but I'm sure underneath they're helpful and generous."
Had to prove you right :)

Enjoy your stay Bobby and welcome.

Welcome mate!

Welcome Bobby! How long have you been wetshaving?

Only about 1.5 months, so I'm very new, but have reasonable technique
Good stuff. You'll keep improving as you shave. Trying different razors and blades (as well as soaps) will help you get better. It's fun learning and mastering the shave.