moisturisers etc

bodge

I have been using the witch hazel from Coles happily for a few weeks. Through my wife, I have access to many different moisturisers, skin care products, etc. I am sure some of you know how many that can mean.
Anyway, on the bottle of witch hazel it says, put it on and once dry, apply moisturiser. I have tried a few of the least offensive and plain looking bottles/tubes/pumps and two stand out for different reasons.

1. Sorbolene lotion by Skin Basics. It's a cheapish big pump bottle. Within seconds I started to feel stinging. Had to rinse it off quick smart, and rinse again.

2. Vitamin E cream by Invite. It's a cheapish big pump bottle. Total opposite, really comfy, soothing... you get the drift.

I had an operation on a finger a couple of years ago and was told to apply moisturiser with vitamin E during the healing phase on the scar. I used the sorbolene at the time and had no issues at all on my finger. But it lights my face up after a shave.

Previous to trying the moisturisers I had been using proraso pre/post cream. It was nice and cool, but not as calming, effective as the Invite cream.

If you're looking for moisturisers for shaving, then the first stop is Nivea sensitive, it has Vit E. I found it a bit greasy, but it all depends on skin types.

I use Speick balm and Lucky Tiger moisturiser when I need it, both are quite light.

You could always try the proraso aftershave balm, that's more of a milk, as is DR Harris Arlington, but that's pricey for a look see.

I may give the speick a whirl, but this vit E cream that's already in the bathroom is just great.

I may give the speick a whirl, but this vit E cream that's already in the bathroom is just great.

Moisturisers? There's enough of them in this house. Expensive ones too! In my limited experience I find most of the good ones are a bit greasy. I only tend to use a seperate moisturiser if the shave was a bit too close for comfort. If I can stop after two passes without being tempted to do ATG scrub ups I don't need anything other than an alum block and a little dollop of Nivea after shave balm. Don't know how much of a moisturiser that is.

I use sorbolene occasionally because my skin gets really dry certain times of the year (elbows, feet and hands). Sometimes the skin cracks really deep and through the skin completely so it's painful to bend them, wash them with soap, or even get my fingers wet.

But for shaving, I wouldn't use it on my face. I agree with the others, nivea after shave balm sensitive version. It's pricey for a small bottle, but you only need the tiniest amount per use as a little goes a long way as it's very greasy, unlike sorbolene which is very watery and dries up real fast. I only use the nivea if I have tore strips of my face which is very rare. My bottle is about 18 months or more old and not empty yet.

Last edited:
I've been looking around latel for a moisturiser with spf30. I am only shaving every second or third day and i think a daily moisturise and some sun protection is my only hope of being half as handsome as PJ as I get older.

I have found this one Natio spf30 and will probably give it a bash soon.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has a product down this line that they like?

Well I've had no issues using sorbolene as a post-shave moisturiser.

I remember watching/reading something about moisturisers and essentially the bottom line was that as long as it had 10% glycerin that was far and away the main thing that made an effective moisturiser. A while back now but it implied a lot of the fancy ingredients they'll brand differentiate on are absolutely baseless nonsense. Of course there are MANY different brands etc of sorbolene and their quality would certainer differ but I've never had issue with a very basic one.

Only thing is I try to apply a minimal amount and always apply rubbing in WTG. If I have a particularly bad/irritable shave I'll go with a witchhazel based balm first - but thats very rare.

Thanks Nick., I am particular about wanting some SPF though.

Sorbolene I find too greasy for my face too. Probably what makes it work :LOL:

I've been looking around latel for a moisturiser with spf30. I am only shaving every second or third day and i think a daily moisturise and some sun protection is my only hope of being half as handsome as PJ as I get older.

I have found this one Natio spf30 and will probably give it a bash soon.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has a product down this line that they like?

Jack Black Double duty is SPF. from our favorite local seller. Is on the pricey side, but it is very nice. I find too many Coles cheapys greasy or poor at absorbing. Mostly I use Spieck balm

Give the natio a shot, it's cheap and available at heaps of pharmacies. I might do the same.

Last edited: