Simpson M6 TSN Limited Edition Manchurian Badger - A Review

Hey @Mong. and @stillshunter

This is why I wasn't prepared to jump at 'faux horn'

attachment.php

(from a B/S/T thread over YKW)

Sam I think you hit the jackpot with yours - but it could be hit or miss!

I don't know, if it's a single digit (1-9 of 200) then it could look like a post-coitus baboon's knob and still the YKW devotees would want it even more.

Maybe Simpsons should have picked their worst turns and issued them with the lowest numbers to ensure a happy market.
Free advice that if they want to use it in the future ;)

It works if you are logged in. I'd prefer if people copy the image elsewhere so that all can see.

I'd just copied the URL from the B&B thread - sorry if that was the wrong thing. I've now saved it and uploaded it myself and it should appear below:

Mark, that was my nightmare. I wonder how many of the 200 are like that. Feeling pretty lucky right now!

I must say, those Mancurians look a lot like TGN finest. Whether they feel the same is another thing, but for my money in 'higher grade' badger, I don't think you can buy better than TGN. Simpsons will always be inherently expensive, even before they've put a knot in any of them.

I've been comparing the Simmo to a $20 Frank Shaving 'Manchurian' badger brush I picked up off eBay. The quality of hair and knot density is not equivalent, but the characteristics are. Similar soft tips, same strength of individual hair, same colouring and banding. I'm not suggesting that the grade is equivalent either, but it probably came off the same breed of Chinese badger. One was $20. One was $200. Maybe Manchurian hair is not so exclusive as some would lead us to believe. It's pretty likely that TGN source their knots from China, so there's every chance that one of their 'Finest' grades are what other brands label as 'Manchurian'. Pretty good value regardless, the TGN silvertip in the Blobby Foo is fantastic. I would definitely recommend people have a look at a decent TGN + handle job before diving in to the fancy stuff. Unless you want to brag. Then you have no choice. You'll need a Rooney Heritage or Somerset Manchurian Simmo for that.

I've been comparing the Simmo to a $20 Frank Shaving 'Manchurian' badger brush I picked up off eBay. The quality of hair and knot density is not equivalent, but the characteristics are. Similar soft tips, same strength of individual hair, same colouring and banding. I'm not suggesting that the grade is equivalent either, but it probably came off the same breed of Chinese badger. One was $20. One was $200.

Probably something in that, but I don't know what those Franks put in there, only had experience of a few grades of TGN and have a couple of Finest. But I'm guessing would be better all round than the Franks. As for the hair, I don't think there's any other source than China. And I'm not dissing on your brush, it's a really nice piece. Less so the Simpsons chupa chup Mark posted. I've got to say, if they're turning out $200 brushes they should all look as good as yours. That chupa chup looks a cheapie.

Yes Sam - I think you did really well. If i could be sure it looked like yours I would be interested!

I agree with @Drubbing that for the money there should be consistency

Didn't I have one of those that people would not buy? Did I end up giving it to me son?

That's not what I heard. A little birdie told me he chose that one over an NOS Simpson 56.

But anyhow I too was pretty amazed at how little interest those handles of yours got. They were all pissers as far as I was concerned. Some absolute classics in there. Most of them in the buy one get one free section too.

Actually I quite like the look of the Chupa Chup. Looks more faux horn than a lot of others I've seen.

That's not what I heard. A little birdie told me he chose that one over an NOS Simpson 56.

But anyhow I too was pretty amazed at how little interest those handles of yours got. They were all pissers as far as I was concerned. Some absolute classics in there. Most of them in the buy one get one free section too.

I think the idea of reknotting is not attractive to most. I was lazy and bought another of your finished ones from Mark. It's another pisser. I was a dickhead for thinking otherwise.

Can someone please define "pisser" for me in wet shaving parlance? I have my understanding of the word, and it doesn't seem applicable to brushes...

Pisser is a great word. It applies to anything that is considered exceptional quality. I thought it was a universally used word but apparently it's not. When I first described one of Drubbings brushes as a pisser he had a similar reaction. You can use it in any context. It also rolls off the tongue quite nicely. Once you've used it a few times it'll become part of your vocabulary.

Can someone please define "pisser" for me in wet shaving parlance? I have my understanding of the word, and it doesn't seem applicable to brushes...

Noun
pisser (plural pissers)

1. Agent noun of piss; one who pisses.
  2. (slang) Toilet.
  3. (US, slang) something special or outstanding; e.g. that bike is a real pisser. Often used in eastern New England and spelled pissa or pissah.
  4. (UK, slang) A disappointing or frustrating situation or event.
  5. (Australia, slang) An extremely amusing person or thing.
(Source: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/pisser)

@Pjotr usually uses it in the US (Eastern New England) slang sense, ironic really ...