Business / dress / work shoes

Ahhhh, @Mong - you have pretty much convinced me!

I can't imagine any serious cobbler would be unfamiliar with shoe trees. I need to pick up a pair myself, but the prices are ridiculous. I'm leaning towards a relatively economical pair from Amazon, but postage might make that unreasonable too. Could you PM me with your eBay vendor for the shoe trees if you're happy with them? If you have a good vendor for the Saphir stuff too, that would be very much appreciated.

My pair of Loakes were picked up yesterday from the courier, and I'm reasonably impressed with them. The craftsmanship is good, stitching is impeccable and the fit was bang on. I'd definitely recommend trying on a pair of Loakes at David Jones for sizing if anyone is considering doing the same. They're comfortable and the leather sole isn't too slippery and will improve over time. There were a couple of little scuffs in the leather when it arrived, and I considered contacting the seller to see if they might throw in some free polish to compensate me. Turns out that they'd already added a shoe horn and a tub of clear polish as a gift anyway, so I'm happy enough with that. It adds a little bit of character to the shoe, will almost definitely buff out, and is pretty much where the toe crease will form anyway. I'm also impressed at how solid the Goodyear welt on the sole is, it looks both durable and extremely secure. I'll probably run some wax around the stitching to try and add a little more waterproofing, but it doesn't look like it needs it.

So, I'm now happy to recommend the UK-based Pediwear as a good vendor for shoes. Customer service was very good, a couple of freebies was nice, and they use DHL as their courier. It took three days for the shoes to move from Leeds to Melbourne, and the weakest link in the chain was the lazy-ass Aussie deliver guy. Pediwear are also offering a standing 10% discount off future purchases of Loake shoes from them, seemingly designed to make sure that they retain the cheapest online price. It's a nice touch, and might encourage me to make another purchase from them around Christmas. I would like a matching pair in black...

Ah, they were unfamiliar with tongue pads, not shoe trees.

The cheapest one i could find was this : http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1Pair-Wo...49?pt=AU_ClothingShoeCare&hash=item5d4a73031d but i have no idea what size this is and the sellers of this type dont know, they just give dimensions.

This is the seller i bought from : http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pair-Men...=AU_ClothingShoeCare&var=&hash=item5d4d89bd51, not sure why there are two different shoe trees pictured in the listing now, the ones i got had the hook type heel in the second pic. One of the shoe trees in my second order came broken but the seller seems happy to work with me for a resolution (well its ebay, everyone is worried about their ratings).

For saphir, i got them from pediwear, but you need to contact them and ask to calculate shipping. Their website automatically charges 3.95 pounds for every item which got a bit crazy for the 8 or so items we purchased, but they were happy to reduce shipping down to 15 pounds.

I guess i should try on some loakes in the nearest david jones just to figure out what size would fit me best. I wear UK 12 sneakers, and UK 12 dress shoes are too big for me. I order a size larger than my actual foot size because i wear orthopaedic insoles and that takes up a lot more room in the shoe. Whats especially confusing is that when i first got my dress shoes (two of them now), they were too tight after i put my insoles in, but after i wore them for a few hours, they expanded a lot more and now they are way too loose. Is this supposed to happen? I figure that would make trying on shoes for fit really inaccurate in store since the shoes havent had the chance to expand yet.

I actually went with herrings for my first shoe as they seem to have better sales than pediwear, and pediwear's site is a bit confusing (theres no way to view sale items only from what i can tell). Where did you hear about that 10% discount? Im pretty sure it wouldnt apply to sale items though?

I was really lucky and got a slight seconds for a pair of Loake 1880s for just $150 + shipping from Herrings. The sole had been scratched (probably someone scratched it while trying it on) but in exchange, ig ot the shoe at half price...would gladly do that exchange again.

Live and learn! tongue pads: thought I knew shoes, but until now I never hear of Tongue Pads.
(And I worked for a Shoe Manufacturer in the '60's)

Q, thanks for the info on shoe trees and the Saphir cream. The cedar trees look reasonable enough for my purposes. How do you find the Saphir polish? Is it a cut above the regular Kiwi stuff from Coles?

The 10% discount is an internal offer, it was mentioned in a letter stuck inside my order. It seems to be a standing offer attached to my Pediwear account as a thank-you of sorts for making a first purchase. I'm not sure if it would apply to sale items, but it does apply to the whole Loake range and the letter also mentions occasional special offers as well. They're just encouraging repeat business really, but 10% is enough to make a difference on expensive shoes.

As for leather shoes expanding, yes, that's pretty natural. It sounds like yours have expanded quite a bit though, the only remedy I can think of is thicker sockers to compensate. They may shrink slightly over time as they relax back into their 'natural' frame a little bit, but I'm not sure. Perhaps next time you get a pair, wear them around the house for a couple of hours without the inner soles and see if they loosen up a little more slowly. That way, when the inner soles go back in they may not stretch as drastically.

Oh i didnt buy the polish, my friends did. They havent used it yet, but i did try out the saphir shoe cream. It has a much sweeter smell than normal cream/polish, probably due to the beeswax. Im not sure if im using it correctly, but what i did was dip the brush into the cream and try to spread the cream out as evenly as possible. Its made some dry areas a lot more supple and seems to have given the leather a healthier glow, but that could be a placebo effect i guess.

I did get the pediwear letter, but not the discount...i guess it only applies if you buy Loake shoes?

Right now im wondering what to do with my UK 12 shoes as they are way too large for me. I have some tongue pads on the way, but they wont get here for another 2 weeks at the earliest. Im wondering whether i should try a UK 11 or 11.5 shoe and selling off these ones...but UK 11.5 shoes are quite hard to find. Whats problematic is that im not sure what is my ideal dress shoe size...i had my feet measured, and my right foot is a UK 10, left is a UK 11. Tried on a pair of Loake Severns in UK 11 G and they were quite tight (before expanding though). Not sure if i should be getting UK 11G and hoping they expand large enough, or go with a UK 11 F...

Sorry Q, I forgot to reply to this. Yes, the Pediwear discount that I have is only for Loake shoes. I'm not sure if they offer discounts for other brands. You could try eBay for your ill-fitting shoes. You might cop a bit of a loss, but there does seem to be quite a following among eBay hunters for quality shoes. As far as sizing goes, I'd recommend getting in touch with Pediwear. They can offer guidance on whether or not a G or an F is appropriate. You could also try Loake themselves, and see if they can offer some dimensions for width.

It's been about two months with the brown Loake derbys, and they've become my favourite shoes. They took a little while to break in (and a few blisters along the way), but the leather is now conforming nicely to my foot. I'm glad I ordered them with a snug fit, because they hold my feet like a glove. The leather sole scuffed up pretty quickly, so as long as I'm paying attention while I walk, they're okay even if it's raining. They're also starting to develop a little bit of character in the form of patina and creasing, which gives them a bit more of a unique look too. I was happy enough with them that I picked up a pair of black cap-toe oxfords from Loake too. I was happy with the price; the second pair cost a significant amount less than the first thanks to the Pediwear Loake discount (10%), so when you factor in that we don't pay VAT and get free shipping, they wound up more like $270. I'd normally spend half of that every 18 months for business shoes, so if these last me three years then I'll be happy. I expect they'll last a lot longer.

It's about time to invest in some shoe shine kit. I've been making do with the stuff I pulled out of the garage and a natural (clear) wax, but the weather has been shit down here and both pairs have copped a little bit of abuse in the wet. Difficult to decide if the cheap horsehair brushes on eBay are the way to go, or if they'll likely just shed or be a bristle blend. While it seems ridiculous to spend a bunch of cash on shoe care, one can make the same case for buying quality that will last it as one can for shoes. I was unimpressed by my local Coles and Woolies, very little in the way of brushes even on the Kiwi level. It's all liquid polish and spray on crap.

@Mong.

Sam, Sam, Sam

I'm blaming your addiction to quality - I can see the purchase of at least two pairs of good shoes in my future after being sized properly when in the UK later this year. The question will be what is cheaper - buying in the UK with VAT (yes I know you can claim back but it is a hassle I'm told) or online with postage ....

I sense a credit card in jeopardy! Mine is too though; I'm feeling that a pair of brogues might be good for Casual Friday...I'm in strife here.

The main thing to try out when you're sizing up is to determine which width fits you most snugly without rubbing too much. My two pairs are the same size, but one is an E (normal) and the other an F (wide) and there is quite a noticeable difference. They both fit well, but despite the wider shoe fitting more comfortably out of the box, it will never quite achieve that snug 'glove' like feeling of the thinner shoe. They're both very comfy anyway. It might be worth you pricing up the cost of your shoes online before you go over (remember that Pediwear will ship Loakes over 150 quid for free, probably the same for their other brands) and comparing that with any sales they have in-store over there.

A friend of mine used an agent successfully to claim back all her VAT from a holiday in the UK. It took a while and they took a commission, but it did make it hassle free. That might be worth looking into if you're going to be over there for a little while.

Herring are the other well regarded online store, by the way. Worth checking out for an idea of some other English brands and their price points, such as Barker.

Oh, and as an FYI, I did buy a pair of shoe trees from the Chinese mob that Question mentioned. They're a bit rough, and the tension is slightly different in each, but they do make a big difference in keeping the creases out of the leather. I've just been switching them between the two pairs seeing as I rotate wearing them anyway.

Yes, maybe I should just concede defeat now!

I take a wider than normal fitting in RMW boots and have previously had nice feeling snug expensive Italian shoes fall apart at the seams so that is my concern about being too snug.

There was a LONG thread on Whirlpool that I will got back the browse again before I go - do some more research ....

Shoes trees and good cream will be a must have too I suspect.

Fortunately I have the kangaroo RMW boots for casual Fridays :)

In the UK almost, if not every, pair of shoes I ever owned had leather soles. The only pairs I can remember definitely not having leather were Dr Marten's and a pair of Caterpillar boots.
I've been stunned every time I go into a store does in Aus at the premium put on a proper pair of shoes.

@Mong. would the difference in width be described as the different a summer and winter sock affects the fit of the same pair of shoes ?

There was a LONG thread on Whirlpool that I will got back the browse again before I go - do some more research ....

Shoes trees and good cream will be a must have too I suspect.

Fortunately I have the kangaroo RMW boots for casual Fridays :)

The Whirlpool thread had some good info, I used the wankers at Styleforum as case studies to work out which width and size seemed most appropriate. There's a very long thread about Loake's, and some interesting comments in favour of their full grain leather Indian-made shoes too. Might be handy if you see a bargain pair of those over the pond.

I'm thinking that I'll pick up a pair of RMW boots for winter next year. Sliding around on leather soles wasn't much fun in rainy Melbourne. They have some Craftsman's with rubber soles, right?

Shoe trees are definitely a must. I'm pretty much settled on Saphir cream/polish. It's well regarded everywhere (especially the Renovateur leather conditioner) and decently priced in the UK. I'm not convinced that it's comparitively better for your shoes than Kiwi, but it does seem to have much more pigment which will probably preserve the colour of the shoes a bit better. Then again, could be a bunch of wank.

In the UK almost, if not every, pair of shoes I ever owned had leather soles...I've been stunned every time I go into a store does in Aus at the premium put on a proper pair of shoes.

Mate, that's exactly how I wound up at Loake. I worked out that there was better value in a welted sole that could be replaced, and went looking around for one. EVERYTHING here is cemented, unless you have the fortune to stumble on a niche store like Double Monk, in which case the price is prohibitive and you have to put up with a bunch of dudes wearing scarfs.

@Mong. would the difference in width be described as the different a summer and winter sock affects the fit of the same pair of shoes ?

That's actually quite a good comparison. I find regular navy cotton 'business' socks to produce a snug fit in the E fitting. I typically wear the same socks in summer and winter, but a heavier wool sock (not a thick tradie-style sock, more like a footy sock thickness) would be equivalently snug in the F. That said, the thicker sock might even stretch the leather slightly. That's not necessarily a bad thing, because if you ensure a good snug fit in the first place, it'll come back into shape with a shoe tree.

So one possible way at looking at it, is go one wider for a winter pair of shoes ?
Hmm, food for thought.
Thank you

One option, go for a wider size. Second option, size up half a size. Third option (if you're buying boots in particular), it may well be that the last used to shape the boots already accomodates for a thicker sock. Best bet is to hit up the seller for some advice on whether or not the fit is typically. I'd probably just go for a half size up, knowing that an insole, tongue pad, or thicker socks as you suggest can fill the difference.

I'm thinking that I'll pick up a pair of RMW boots for winter next year. Sliding around on leather soles wasn't much fun in rainy Melbourne. They have some Craftsman's with rubber soles, right?

Yes many years ago I wore my most comfortable shoes on our trip to Europe - slipping around in the rain on marble pavements was not my idea of fun ....

Any a couple of years ago my wife got me some Kangaroo Comfort Craftsman boots - I love them!

Kangaroo uppers, soft from the get go but strong and durable. Classic Craftsman styling and 'Comfort' sole - not the new Dynamic Flex but the older 'rubber' soles. Got them from here - the cheapest place around when I was looking

Thanks for the tip! They're quite a bit cheaper than RMW themselves. Are the Comfort Craftsman quite chunky through the arch towards the ankle? They look quite 'tall', as though there might be a lot of space between your foot and the top of the shoe.

T.... Are the Comfort Craftsman quite chunky through the arch towards the ankle? They look quite 'tall', as though there might be a lot of space between your foot and the top of the shoe.

Not sure what you mean. If you go into an RMW shop you can look at them in the flesh - then order online :)

The UK has come and gone and none the wiser on shoes - didn't end up having time :)

Unlucky, but judging from the pic's you spent your time pretty well anyway!

The brown Loake derbys have copped a pasting over the past few months in dreary Melbourne, and they're still cruising along fairly well. Well enough that I convinced myself that I'd wear a pair of brogues and picked up a pair of Allen Edmonds Strands in walnut for peanuts from an Aussie who bought a pair that didn't fit. I feel slightly bad, I robbed that poor bastard on eBay. Nonetheless, they're getting a good run in the world of consultancy and they're exceptionally comfortable too. Slightly more comfy than the Loakes, and although the leather is more soft and supple, I'd back the Loake's in for the long haul especially in the wet.

Just a bit of an endorsement for anyone who might be considering buying. I had some concerns about leather soles in the wet, and although I'd had some scares I didn't end up on my arse on Collins Street at any point so they've done reasonably well.

If anyone is sufficiently interested, I'll take some pictures to show how much wear and tear half a year will make.