Synthetic Brushes

filobiblic

Facepeeler Extraordinare
State Convenor - NSW
Group Buy Caporegime
2017 Sabbatical Fail
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2015 Sabbatical Fail
It seems like you're all dyed to the bone natural but just putting it out there...
Anyone use a synthetic regularly?
I'm thinking the latest generation (Muhle silvertip fibre, Muhle black fibre, Plisson, etc) are worth checking out but wondering if anyone uses one regularly.

Not tried one, but if I did, I go with one of omega's first. god knows what Plisson are charging for theirs/

I think it's around US$55 from L'occitane. That said, apparently it's no longer available in the US (and I don't think was ever available here). I've heard it put between the Muhle ST and Muhle black.

Not sure what the Omega synthetics are like. Haven't heard much about them.

I know the Muhle fibre brushes to be very good, especially the Silvertip. They tend to get rave reviews but I haven't splashed out on one.

Generally the whole thing with synthetics is that the variables in a natural product can now be controlled and each brush performs almost the same. That said, its more about the issue of what they make these fibres from, and how much they damage the environment. Most of the synthetics up until recently are Nylon-based, so just another plastic.

If the Chinese want to eat badgers (and they do, also considered a pest in China) then I might as well use the hair from them in my shaving brush instead of it going to waste.

Generally the whole thing with synthetics is that the variables in a natural product can now be controlled and each brush performs almost the same. That said, its more about the issue of what they make these fibres from, and how much they damage the environment. Most of the synthetics up until recently are Nylon-based, so just another plastic.

If the Chinese want to eat badgers (and they do, also considered a pest in China) then I might as well use the hair from them in my shaving brush instead of it going to waste.

Good point. Never thought about it from that perspective.

Pushing back a little, wouldn't they last a lot longer than the natural bristle brushes? I hear that they are also more economical on soap/cream.

Pushing back a little, wouldn't they last a lot longer than the natural bristle brushes? I hear that they are also more economical on soap/cream.

The 'economy' thing I cannot comment on, but they may whip up lather better than natural fibre which requires less product. Most natural fibres are more or less round/oval, where I believe the synthetics are more oddly shaped which could help them deliver (and release) a better lather.

The synthetics have no 'absorption' of the water into the fibre, so generally there is no moisture cycling unlike what you get with a natural hair which does absorb the water into the hair itself. Those Wet/Dry cycles will eventually turn the hair brittle and it will break.

I would also hazard a guess that they would shed much less than a natural-haired brush.

Likely to be all machine knotted, so shedding shouldn't be an issue.

I believe that's one of the differences between the two synthetic Muhle fibres. The black is machine knotted but the silvertip is hand knotted.

I went into a L'occitane shop and they had a Plisson synthetic for about $100.

Bugger that.

My only synthetic is a Body Shop and it was under $20 if I remember correctly and it works ok,

but I do tend to stick to my natural ones, out of familiarity perhaps.

I would love to try one of the new generation synthetics though if the price wasn't so over the top.

Black bristles would be very cool I reckon, with that white frothy soap.

I'm sure there's a a member here who's big on synthetics. I must admit I haven't tried synthetics. Tried nearly everything else. Do the body shop synthetics have faux badger war paint?

Yes the body shop are white with grey tips. I quite like them but they don't hold as much water as a badger and so I feel.. Te lather dries faster.

I have a Muhle 'Silvertip' Fibre travel brush - it replaced a pure badger one that was well and truly 'broken in' and working well.

So why change?

I was convinced after a member YKW showed us his normal Muhle synthetic at a catch up in CBR. He commented on how quickly they dry - good feature for a travel brush. So I gave it a shot and it is great - works as good as any badger I have and dries really quickly. Soft tips but with good backbone.

Would I buy another?

Maybe - certainly as a travel brush. Not sure how they will be in 50+ years time like my vintage butterscotch Simmos but certainly a great brush for now.

The Body Shop ones I wouldn't put in the same category as these based solely on feel in the shop.

I went into a L'occitane shop and they had a Plisson synthetic for about $100.
What L'Occitane had a Plison synthetic on shelf? Really? Like this one?
img0796lb.jpg

That does it, I'm checking out my local store tomorrow….though I bet the Canberra store's got nothing but hemp hand cream and a used fire cracker!

They had a couple of them in the Castle Hill store (Sydney) but at about a hundred fucking dollars a pop !

They looked something like that, it was with all the Cade stuff. I think they came with one of those plastic stands so maybe slightly different.

Is that a good price?

It did feel nice though.

Is that a good price?

I believe they are about $55 in the States. The markup is about right for Australia... Us incredibly wealthy chaps with plenty of deep pockets.

It did feel nice though.

The Plisson is a popular synthetic brush. More backbone than the Muhle silvertip but softer than the Muhle black fibre. Apparently a nice middle ground.

There is probably even more improvements that can be made with synthetics. But I wonder if it's going to be a strategy to keep their prices artificially high. Lower than the equivalent in natural silvertip, yet higher than a quality boar. Surely it doesn't cost that much to make. There will be many more
Synthetic brushes coming out...

Well, dunno how to say this but I found myself at the L'occitane shop today and there was only one of these brushes left.

For some reason they have been selling really well, so having a $100 dollar note in my wallet I thought fuck it and stop being

a miserable bastard.

Yep, I bought it, it is so soft.

I will try it tomorrow for my next shave and report back.

Yep , I am an idiot and blame you stillhunter for your subliminal encouragement.

It is only money, hey.

And..................................it comes with a plastic stand;)