Semogue bas... errr praise, yeah that's the word, praise thread :)

borked

Shave, collect B&M pokemon, vodka, sleep, repeat
Grand Society
Group Buy Associate
Da Menth Heads
2018 Charity Auction Winner
Yes, praise for Semogue and deservedly so.

Finally heard back from them in regards to my faulty Semogue and they've thus far been more than helpful.
Indeed, they've expressed that it is a manufacturing fault from a certain period of time, as to which they've rectified, and will be sending me one to replace the borked by borked one.

If for any reason people desire to contact them...
Fábrica de Pincéis Semogue
Rua Estação 484
São Félix da Marinha
4410-178 SÃO FELIX DA MARINHA

Telefone: 227 620 140 Fax: 227 620 140

Nuno Monte:
info@semogueportugal.pt

Vie Long could take lessons from the example set here by Semogue in regards to after sales support, as it's been pretty much a polar opposite experience, to which, I am grateful of Semogue for affording decent customer service.

Now I've a decision to make in regards to what to do with the dead Semogue...

Nice result. What's wrong with the dud one? If the handle is fine, steam that knot out and have a look at TGN for a replacement knot.

Handle will require a repaint due to mould under the paint, not a problem.
As for the knot, well, have you ever seen a two piece smoggie before ? ;)
Contemplating another boar for it, yet not sure which one and from where to obtain a reasonably priced quality knot from.

…around 1955 onwards?
Pre- mid 2013 from my understanding.
Hey, at least they admit fault and are proactive in not only trying to rectify it as a business, yet they also seek to rectify issues with their customers.
More than can be said of Vie Long...

and I received the article of topic today.
Included was a sticker, which is a nice touch :)

Credit where due, they responded and were active in resolving an issue in a positive manner.
For this alone, I am appreciative.

I've got a 1305 that came chipped from the supplier. Its progressively acquired more and more chips and the paint job is obviously pretty useless. But for a cheap brush it is great and when it dies I'll throw it out and get another one.

I busted to my 1305 out the other day. Wish I hadn't. Just reminded me why it's stuffed at the back of the cupboard.

Did the same with my 620 today. More noodle than Hong Kong. Seriously considering a TGN knot & sending it to our craftsman.

Do it if he's keen. Go straight for Finest. I dicked around with he lower grades and ended up moving them on to more appreciative hands.

To be honest, I was thinking Super would be the way to go in that handle.

It looks like there is a big price difference between their 'Finest' and the newer 'F2 Finest'... yet the ones at the top are more expensive again. Oh the joys of shopping for badger hair....

If nothing else, the Super badger go up to wider and bigger knots, so you could get a 24mm or maybe bigger in the 620. You'd have to see what the options are once that sneaky cup is pulled out.

Yeah, a low-set 24mm fan shaped Super is what I am thinking. I really need to rotate my brushes more - will have a new Vulfix Super Badger coming via Massdrop hopefully in the next few weeks. Maybe a different grade would be a better idea.

Once the 730HD falls apart, I will be searching for a higher-quality bulb shape for it. Maybe their 'Expensive' finest of about $40. Otherwise it is straight to the High Mountain white. It has been my most used brush for the last 4 years now, and it continues to shed yet there is still plenty of life in it.

Also considering re-knotting my original Muhle Pure Badger which I barely use. While it works great for creams and has a bit of 'face prickle' during use, I do find it on the floppy side of the line.

Pretty sure I've got a 24mm finest Fan low set in my Vulfix. Still not as much grunt as a stuffed Simpson, but a great knot all the same. Semogues do provide good handles to work from, and the acrylic means the handy person can route then out a bit wider if need be.

To be honest, I was thinking Super would be the way to go in that handle.

It looks like there is a big price difference between their 'Finest' and the newer 'F2 Finest'... yet the ones at the top are more expensive again. Oh the joys of shopping for badger hair....

Their F2 is pretty good though. I've had the best results from their "extra hair" knots. Even if that comes at a higher price it's worth it. And set the knot as low as you can. When it almost, but not quite, looks out of proportion, that's the spot.

Yes, I would definitely want it set a bit lower than standard.

I just wish you could buy the Smoggie handles and stuff whatever you like into them. The Clear acrylic always looks good but it does show its use in time.

Yes, I would definitely want it set a bit lower than standard.

I just wish you could buy the Smoggie handles and stuff whatever you like into them. The Clear acrylic always looks good but it does show its use in time.

There are loads of other great handles out there. Clear acrylic particularly if you have to deepen it or widen it is a lot of work because you can see every inside scratch mark from the outside. I pushed that to the limit with the idea of inserting a Foo Fighters logo in to one of Drubbings Semoque handles to create the Blobby Foo brush. It failed. I still think it's doable.