Are there soaps for sensitive skin?

My routine (nothing missed out)

Dunk brush in water and leave it there
Wet face with hands (cupped hands, splash it on)
Apply soap/cream to brush/face (I often vary which and I'm not averse to wiping the soap across my face)
Apply brush to face
Agitate to lather
Shave WTG
Apply lather from brush (bit thin and smeary but does the job)
Shave XTG (cheeks, under nose)
Apply more lather from brush (even thinner and smearier)
Shave ATG cheeks only
Rinse (cold water)
Pat almost dry
Aftershave splash (never balm, those take me back to acne ridden puberty)

@Question
Aftershave usually does several things:
- tightens the skin (stops bleeding, etc) if it has alcohol, alum or witch hazel
- sooth the skin (you've just taken a layer of your skin off)
- moisturise the skin (adding water back into the skin)
- make you smell purrrdy

If you use an alum block or witch hazel to help tighten the skin and stop weepers then you don't need an alcohol based AS.

Usually people recommend the 4 stages in wet shaving:
1. Prepare
2. Lather
3. Shave
4. Protect/Moisture

Oh, im not using anything for after shave. When using catridge razors i never had to use any...why do i need to use one for wet shaving?

I would, regardless of what you shave with. Shaving pulls out moisture from the skin, removes a fine layer of it and so it's not unreasonable to look after it afterwards. Some prefer old style aftershaves, because alcohol soothes and other ingredient protect. Some prefer balms, which are really just man moisturiser. Either will look after your skin.

As for your residual stubble, it's all technique. there isn't a product in the world that will get you a closer shave. It's all about feeling that blade edge and working it to the optimum. Just practice.

Oh, im not using anything for after shave. When using catridge razors i never had to use any...why do i need to use one for wet shaving?

I will check out TOBS, too bad it's almost double the price of Cella. How is it compared to Cella/Proraso?

Well, I've always used an aftershave balm even with cartridges. I just assume that scraping a sharp blade across my skin will be doing some damage, even if it's not obviously seen, and so the sensible thing to do is assist your skin in healing and returning some moisture to it. That's my reasoning, but everyone's skin is different. Mine's pretty sensitive to some things, so I try to help it out as much as possible. If you were able to get away with not using one with a cartridge, you could probably work back into that condition with a DE, but there are many factors involved in that. Preparation, blade choice, razor aggressiveness, etc. Try the Nivea Sensitive one from your local Woolies or Coles. It's quite good and won't break the bank.

Personally, I think TOBS is better than either Cella or Proraso. It's not because it necessarily has a better lather (this is obviously a matter of perspective anyway), but it is extremely easy to use and has a number of excellent properties that helped me get a good shave when I wasn't yet sure of my technique, pressure and blade angle. The little things that can impact on the quality of your shave can be diminuished by using products that help you and help your skin. The TOBS is extremely easy to lather, it's protective and has good glide, and is fairly effortless to produce a good lather. Is it worth double the price? For me, yes. I think it's a better product. That said, I can get exceptional shaves from Cella and Proraso, and I have a tub of each next to my TOBS. It's a matter of preference, but I think that TOBS is a good place to start. It looks expensive, but it's a bit tub that lasts and you don't need much. My two cents.

Ultimately, effortless wetshaving takes time and practice regardless of products or equipment.

My routine (nothing missed out)

Dunk brush in water and leave it there
Wet face with hands (cupped hands, splash it on)
Apply soap/cream to brush/face (I often vary which and I'm not averse to wiping the soap across my face)
Apply brush to face
Agitate to lather
Shave WTG
Apply lather from brush (bit thin and smeary but does the job)
Shave XTG (cheeks, under nose)
Apply more lather from brush (even thinner and smearier)
Shave ATG cheeks only
Rinse (cold water)
Pat almost dry
Aftershave splash (never balm, those take me back to acne ridden puberty)

Hmm thats fairly similar except that i build the lather in the tub and i dont shave ATG (it always feels like it shaves nothing). And no aftershave of course.

Any aftershaves to recommend? Or do brands, etc, not matter?

Ive still got half a tub of Cella though...if i do try out TOBS/Proraso and like it better, i would end up with a half-used tub of Cella...

Ive still got half a tub of Cella though...if i do try out TOBS/Proraso and like it better, i would end up with a half-used tub of Cella...

Shaving consumables don't really go off, especially something like Cella. Most of us have a disgusting stockpile of different shaving products, and just switch between them depending on mood. No reason you can't do the same, and besides, one is a soap (albeit a soft one) and the other is a cream. It might be good to practice your lathering technique across a couple of different products to see how consistent you can get your lather. Or try face lathering with the Cella, and bowl lathering with the TOBS. Plenty of options mate, but the Cella certainly would not be wasted if you picked up some other kit.

With aftershaves, brands can matter. Ed Pinaud, for example, makes old school aftershave that's mostly just alcohol and fragrance. Floid make aftershave that contains alcohol, but also has a bunch of stuff that's good for skin as well. As a post-shave care product, the Pinaud has little to offer while the Floid has ingredients that promote healing and soothing. My recommendation, other than the supermarket Nivea balm, would be for the Proraso white balm or the Speick balm. Both are great at shutting down any sore spots or redness, and they don't require a huge amount of product per use so they're good value. Try the Nivea first, it's cheaper and will give you an idea about whether or not it'll work for you.

Hmm thats fairly similar except that i build the lather in the tub and i dont shave ATG (it always feels like it shaves nothing). And no aftershave of course.

Any aftershaves to recommend? Or do brands, etc, not matter?

Missing the point a little Q - I think a lot of us (Drubbing probably excluded) have a fairly healthy collection of well used , slightly used and waiting to be used, soap creams blades brushes and even razors. I have partly used Tabac, Cella, ARKO!!!!, Erasmic, P120 and P160, various bits and pieces of samples, MWF and other stuff sitting around. Yes it is more than I can expect to use in my lifetime, but trying new stuff is fun - if you find something you really don't like PIF it away, If you find something you do like it doesn't mean you can't use other stuff. One brush one soap one razor one blade = boring shaving.

I like aftershave balms as my skin tends to dry out.
I think Nivea Sensitive balm is over-rated. You actually get better value for $ using Natio for Men Calming Aftershave balm.
(https://www.natio.com.au/products/men-natio-for-men)
It's $12-13 for 200mLs (cf $10-11 for 100mLs Nivea) and a better, all-natural balm. It's made in Oz (Cf Europe). It has a light scent with slight citrus. Much, much better (& cheaper!) than Nivea.
It can be bought from a good chemist or somewhere like DJ's.

I also recommend Gaia for Men Face Creme. (http://www.gaiaskinnaturals.com/GAIA-Made-for-Men-Products/)
But it's harder to find. It's also thicker and more suitable for
winter.

I can't stress enough that the Natio AS is IMHO one of the best and it's great value for money. Much better and cheaper than the second rate Nivea balm.

Shaving consumables don't really go off, especially something like Cella. Most of us have a disgusting stockpile of different shaving products, and just switch between them depending on mood. No reason you can't do the same, and besides, one is a soap (albeit a soft one) and the other is a cream. It might be good to practice your lathering technique across a couple of different products to see how consistent you can get your lather. Or try face lathering with the Cella, and bowl lathering with the TOBS. Plenty of options mate, but the Cella certainly would not be wasted if you picked up some other kit.

With aftershaves, brands can matter. Ed Pinaud, for example, makes old school aftershave that's mostly just alcohol and fragrance. Floid make aftershave that contains alcohol, but also has a bunch of stuff that's good for skin as well. As a post-shave care product, the Pinaud has little to offer while the Floid has ingredients that promote healing and soothing. My recommendation, other than the supermarket Nivea balm, would be for the Proraso white balm or the Speick balm. Both are great at shutting down any sore spots or redness, and they don't require a huge amount of product per use so they're good value. Try the Nivea first, it's cheaper and will give you an idea about whether or not it'll work for you.

Oh i see, i just didn't want to end up with one half used tub of cella and using TOBs or the new soap/cream all the time because i think thats so much better. But i guess i could always sell off the cella if i dont want it...

Has anyone tried Proraso white or Mitchell's wool fat btw?

I ended up buying the Nivea sensitive balm for $7.99 at a chemist warehouse as it was on sale, but the stuff is so watery its useless...it drips down from my moustache onto my lips and i end up tasting the aftershave when i eat/drink...yech! Are balms supposed to be watery or did i just end up with a bad buy?

I like aftershave balms as my skin tends to dry out.
I think Nivea Sensitive balm is over-rated. You actually get better value for $ using Natio for Men Calming Aftershave balm.
(https://www.natio.com.au/products/men-natio-for-men)
It's $12-13 for 200mLs (cf $10-11 for 100mLs Nivea) and a better, all-natural balm. It's made in Oz (Cf Europe). It has a light scent with slight citrus. Much, much better (& cheaper!) than Nivea.
It can be bought from a good chemist or somewhere like DJ's.

I also recommend Gaia for Men Face Creme. (http://www.gaiaskinnaturals.com/GAIA-Made-for-Men-Products/)
But it's harder to find. It's also thicker and more suitable for
winter.

I can't stress enough that the Natio AS is IMHO one of the best and it's great value for money. Much better and cheaper than the second rate Nivea balm.

Thanks, is it a creamy texture? Or watery like the nivea?

Missing the point a little Q - I think a lot of us (Drubbing probably excluded) have a fairly healthy collection of well used , slightly used and waiting to be used, soap creams blades brushes and even razors. I have partly used Tabac, Cella, ARKO!!!!, Erasmic, P120 and P160, various bits and pieces of samples, MWF and other stuff sitting around. Yes it is more than I can expect to use in my lifetime, but trying new stuff is fun - if you find something you really don't like PIF it away, If you find something you do like it doesn't mean you can't use other stuff. One brush one soap one razor one blade = boring shaving.

Maybe i should ask if anyone is selling half used soaps/cream...

Thanks, is it a creamy texture? Or watery like the nivea?

The Natio for Men is runny like the Nivea but better for the skin. I find that I rub it all over and is absorbed straight away. I personally don't like the Nivea. If you didn't like the texture then probably give it a miss.

The Gaia for Men Face Creme is thicker. I call it a winter cream as it's thicker and tends to be more slowly absorbed (perhaps 5 mins).

I've been using Razorock Aftershave Wax recently and really like it. It's thick but is absorbed quickly. It also smells great and feels so good afterwards. The only bad thing is that it's expensive). You buy it from Italian Barber (Canada) or Shaver Hut (Australia http://www.shaverhut.com.au/razorock-aftershave-wax.html).

Has anyone tried Proraso white or Mitchell's wool fat btw?

Not the Proraso White.

I think MWF is good. Some love it and other hate it (the smell/allergic to lanolin/etc). I've never had a problem lathering it and it does it's job well. As my technique has improved so has my lather, but I don't feel it's as cushioning as some other soaps. However the post-shave feel is good. That's the lanolin for you.

Are balms supposed to be watery or did i just end up with a bad buy?

I find it quite watery but yours could be especially so. Shaking the bottle may help but if just skip it of it's not your thing.

Balms vary in consistency and so do their names. Aftershave balms could be called: balm, creme, wax, lotion... They could be runny and thin, or could be thick like toothpaste.

Has anyone tried Proraso white ?

Yep, and I like it. Light scent lathers like proraso soaps do, and doesn't smell like marzipan. I wouldn't say I have especially sensitive skin, but I have found some of the classic soaps caused an irritation (P.160 and Cella) it was a warming of where the soap had been. When I changed soaps it didn't happen and when I tried them again it did, so I ruled out technique.