Cast Iron fry pans

After a couple of month with this DeBuyer, I can sympathise with Pjs experience. It's just not been as non stick as the Cast - which is about as non stick as a non Teflon pan gets. I chucked the cast in the BBQ with the hood down and it went black and has been brilliant since. Eggs slide around, cleans easy as etc. Nothing better for steaks, snags, chicken too. All for $15. Everyone should have one at that price.

But I've had sticky spots on the DB. The seasoning on the bottom just wouldn't take very well. Always plenty of patina on there, but even the odd snag would...snag and eggs were hit and miss. Every use, I saw flecks of black in the pan - the seasoning just wouldn't harden. Then I realised, unlike Prof. Vollrath, I don't have commercial grade stovetop. The pan just couldn't get hot enough to fuse the oil. So I threw caution to the wind, rubbed on some canola and shoved in the BBQ on full bore. That blacked it. It improved, but not long after this I threw a tomato sauce over some meatballs and realised I made the basic error of throwing an acidic sauce in a seasoned pan. That fucked the bottom again, with metal showing through. So into the BBQ again. Blacker than before. Hopefully this will sort it. If not, it's still passably NS. It's just that the cast is better.

This whole iron fry pan is one big pan.
Done a few in my time but not sure it's worth it[emoji43]
Latest why (about a month ago) did two large fry pans.
1 make sure all the old coating is off. 2 then heat it you to 425F to make sue that everything is burned off. 1hr of this ;let cool. Then 5-6 oil treatments. Used Canoil . Cover with even very light coat. 350 to 425 heat for 1hr then cool. Then spend the next two days putting on the next 5 coats.....OR
Buy one of the new Ceramic ones.

u4u8aryz.jpg

You guys inspired me so I went and got this. And each morning I have been doing a bit of this:
e2emu2az.jpg

I got some flaxseed for seasoning and have done both the oven trick and have also heated on gas top till smoking and then with a cloth wiped on small coatings of oil. Smoked them off and then wiped again. Am thinking its a faster way to apply several coats.

My motivation =
egu9yty2.jpg

This whole iron fry pan is one big pan.
Done a few in my time but not sure it's worth it[emoji43]
Latest why (about a month ago) did two large fry pans.
1 make sure all the old coating is off. 2 then heat it you to 425F to make sue that everything is burned off. 1hr of this ;let cool. Then 5-6 oil treatments. Used Canoil . Cover with even very light coat. 350 to 425 heat for 1hr then cool. Then spend the next two days putting on the next 5 coats.....OR
Buy one of the new Ceramic ones.

Like anything on the net, you easily come across the people that take over thinking into the realm of obsession - otherwise they wouldn't be putting long videos on YT about how to do it. You don't need to undergo some complex ritualistic process to season a pan. I tried the oven too, but mine didn't seem hot enough. My BBQ gets far hotter, and I think that's pretty much the main requirement. Can't see the value in doing it multiple times though.

Overall, I think either pan have been worth it. Both get very hot, so can seal steak really well, so you get a bit of crunch outside and however you like it inside. Great for golden chicken too. This is a Jamie recipe where you bash chicken fillets with seasoning and rosemary and pan fry. Given the humungous size of fillets here, this isn't a bad way to cook chicken fillets. But again the hot pan seals both sides, so you can get it golden on the outside if you want, but still moist inside. Whenever i tried to cook chicken with my teflons they took so long to cook they dry out, even cooking bite size pieces for curry, pasta etc.

You guys inspired me so I went and got this. And each morning I have been doing a bit of this...

Looking great! I really like big square pans, and I especially like the wooden handle on yours. Makes it a bit more user friendly, I always end up leaving the oven mitt on one hand with mine.

Yeah I'm not having much luck. Mind you, I'm not using it a lot at the moment. Lovely pan, weight, thickness etc. I just hate non stick. Plus I'm convinced that in 2oyrs time there''ll be sufferers of some specific form of cancer who will be known as the non-stick-pan-generation.