Winter Fragrance (appropriate for work too)

Rive Gauche is not exactly the epitome of modern fragrance either. The original perfume came out in the early 1970s.

Rive Gauche is not exactly the epitome of modern fragrance either. The original perfume came out in the early 1970s.
Dare I suggest a large portion of the audience is 70's or earlier ?

Is my theory for more complex fragrances, if it was marketed before you, it most likely is beyond you.

I only said as much as you had already said that paco is an old school scent. I thought you were the one dissing older smellies.

However brut, blue stratos, tabac and aramis are all old school scents that this shaver definitely won't be rushing to try again.

Hardly, there's a time and place for them, ymmv etc :)
I tend to be stuck in the late 80's to early 90's fragrance wise.
Brut, I could possibly wear again, Tabac, no, the others, I've not formed a definitive decision yet, thou probably erring upon the nay side of the fence.

Maybe a fougere (sp?) could be the thing Mong? A bit of Drakkar Noir (y)
Quoted from http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Gucci/Gucci-Nobile-689.html

"Such a unique, rounded scent that I can't quite describe offhand, Gucci Nobile is a hidden gem that will grow on you easily if you give it a chance.

Gucci Nobile is most definitely an aromatic fougère in the style of Drakkar Noir, but it's much more refined and enjoyable. What captivates me the most is the green, herbal lavender-rosemary-tarragon accord in the top complimented by patchouli. The lavender has a "foody", "cakey" feel to it, the same sort of smell I've detected before in lavender-dominant scents like Hypnose Homme by Lancome and Rive Gauche Pour Homme. Right out of the sprayer, I get a BEAUTIFUL sweet green accord that I've honestly never smelled before in a fragrance. There's also a brown, dry tobacco note in there that isn't smoky at all. As Gucci Nobile descends into the drydown, it gets deeper and darker, at times crossing paths with the green, spicy tobacco of Aramis Havana, or (dare I say it) the rugged, oily leather of Patou Pour Homme. However, Gucci Nobile manages to maintain this fougère character all by itself and it stays that way for a while - the stuff has amazing longevity.

I can't help but feel that all the inexpensive, wildly popular aromatic fougeres of the past were all trying to be like this. Gucci Nobile was the prime target. Brut laid the foundation, Drakkar Noir presented the idea (it got sort of close), but Gucci Nobile perfected the aromatic fougère with an intricate balance between lavender, green notes, and herbs. A perfect, comforting fougère with everything in its right place had been achieved...

...But alas, Nobile was doomed from the start. By the time Drakkar Noir was the poster boy of 80's masculines, the aromatic fougère genre said "Fuck this, I'm tired of the same ol' same ol'..." and went in the direction of Green Irish Tweed, Cool Water, Eternity, and so on. Just like Bon Scott died just as AC/DC was reaching their apex of popularity, Gucci Nobile (and Patou Pour Homme Prive, respectively) marked the absolute perfection of the aromatic fougère genre, but died too soon in a sea of trendy fragrances going in totally different directions.

Flash-forward nearly 20 years later, a little-known house by the name of Alexander da Costa creates a fragrance called "Nobile Royalty", which is extremely affordable and has people raving that it's a resurrection of Gucci Nobile.

Well, I own a bottle of Nobile Royalty, and I can say that it's VERY CLOSE, but it has a sweet, tar-like note reminiscent of a Lush store that differentiates it from Nobile. The character is there, but he's not our old friend. Nobile stuck to that aromatic fougère character through and through, representing stern, reliable masculinity.

Gucci Nobile is still out there, but it commands astronomical prices. I recommend every guy with an interest in fragrances (especially the aromatic fougère genre) should try Gucci Nobile, if only to understand what a great fragrance smells like.

As a final note, people often talk about the best fragrances in each category: e.g., Shalimar as the best oriental, or maybe Joy as the best floral. Gucci Nobile is the greatest aromatic fougère ever made, hands down."

I've a stash that I hope is enough to last a lifetime.
I can not recommend this enough if fougère's is your thing :)

So you are recommending a discontinued and expensive fragrance Borked? Or you have a bunch to PiF out to your shave bros??

Just grab some to try - one here and another here

My opinion is it is exceptionally good :)
That size though, provides the opportunity for someone to sample this and see if the premium being asked by those selling it, is actually worth it .

It is Gucci Pour Homme (The nose behind this fragrance is Guy Robert) in the mid 70's and then this in the late 80's that imo, established the Gucci house, to which the Tom Ford era capitalised upon.

To me, it requires a level of maturity to appreciate it, not dissimilar to the maturity required to appreciate the common denominator between us all :)

Of course, if you do desire to purchase a larger size...
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Gucci-Gu...0-Fl-Oz-BNIB-Retail-Box-Damaged-/321396850575

Just over $80aud with free postage for a new sealed 30ml bottle.

Last edited: