Gaggia out...what do I get next?

Blackie

The guy from over the ditch
Found this...
https://espressoroad.co.nz/product/elektra-microcasa-a-leva/
Any good, or bad?
My Gaggia Cadorna Plus is (was) OK, but no spares in NZ (bad idea Gaggia). Has to go back to Gaggia NZ for any 'servicing' including just replacing a simple seal. They won't sell any parts!
So, what is my next machine going to be?
I don't want auto milk thing (can't be faffed with cleaning milk tanks, etc).
Just want good coffee, and I can steam the milk myself to my satisfaction.
Your thoughts oh great coffee lovers?
Thanks.

I went down the auto milk thing out of convenience but I only drink long blacks so it doesn't phase me. Occasionally I'll use the milk part for guests.

I ended up grabbing a Delonghi Dinamica, she's been a great piece of kit so far.

Coffee officianado's will scoff at it, but I prefer the ease of use and how quick it knocks out a decent cup of Campos coffee.

RRP was approx 1200, I got it during boxing day sales for 850.

LOL I just seen the link you posted, my machine isn't even in the same league

I bought the seals I wanted from the UK.
Gaggia Aus wanted a bank transfer (which adds $$ to the deal). They wouldn't do a CC transaction.
Very strange.
Anyway, I like coffee. In fact I love coffee. But it's got to taste good...no grey watery looking Moccona type crap thanks.
That's why I thought that machine I linked to 'might' be OK.

There are plenty of 3rd party sellers here in Aus for Gaggia parts. (Google Gaggia parts Australia.) I got a whole lot just a few months ago for my old machine that I was giving away to a friend. I'm told a lot of them are apparently identical to KitchenAid parts, so there's a good chance you'll find a bricks&mortar shop in NZ that'll suit you.

Thanks guys.
I have the seals to keep it going for a while yet.
Though once it breaks down I won't bother with spares...will just get a new lever type machine.
Yeah...sorry Mother Earth...more landfill!
On that note...Mt.Ruapehu over here is tossing out 6500+ tonnes of CO2 per day at the moment.
Um...but aren't we all meant to be dressing in cabbage leaves, driving electric cars, and living in unheated caves to stop CO2 and global warming?

Um...but aren't we all meant to be dressing in cabbage leaves, driving electric cars, and living in unheated caves to stop CO2 and global warming?
Err, I think I might get arrested if I attempt to dress in cabbage leaves, but I would gladly get an electric ute if it has 4wd and can pull a 3-tonne trailer up a mountain. My cave is CO2 neutral: any trees I burn are replaced by new trees. If I just left dead ones lying on the forest floor, they'd oxidize to CO2 anyway.

You should go for the Rolls of lever machines (Olympia Cremina) Otherwise a lovely vintage La Pavoni. I know a guy that restores them in Italy and ships worldwide.

We went with a VBM Domobar Junior a few years ago. It's not a decorative piece like the one you posted but makes fantastic coffee. Parts and servicing hasn't been an issue. Highly recommended.
Eeek!
Yes, 'tis lovely but a tad over my pay-grade (in $NZ, may be a lot cheaper in Oz?).
I'm 'hoping' to stay under $NZ1400, but of course I really want the best I can get for the money.
The Gaggia is OKish.
Makes a better coffee than the Moccona instant my Missus likes.
But still not quite 'there' yet in flavour. Tried different beans, different grind settings, etc...but still searching for that touch of coffee magic.

Eeek!
Yes, 'tis lovely but a tad over my pay-grade (in $NZ, may be a lot cheaper in Oz?).
I'm 'hoping' to stay under $NZ1400, but of course I really want the best I can get for the money.
The Gaggia is OKish.
Makes a better coffee than the Moccona instant my Missus likes.
But still not quite 'there' yet in flavour. Tried different beans, different grind settings, etc...but still searching for that touch of coffee magic.
Have you thought about grabbing a 2nd hand well maintained model?

The Gaggia is OKish.
Given that Gaggia virtually invented the modern espresso (and that even my old basic model produced stellar quality coffee) I'm surprised you can't get a decent brew out of yours.

Last edited:
The Gaggia is OK ish. Not stellar though.
Tried different beans, amount of beans, amount of water (and milk), and bean grinds.
Quite drinkable, but I want 'more'!
Plus it's starting to wear a tad. Just put in new seals, but can see wear on the entire 'brew group' (it's all plastic).
So figured 'what's to harm' if I went with a lever type machine instead.
Mind you, I might be rubbish at making Espresso anyway.