Which Simpsons?

stillshunter

a man of resolve, a man of conviction
State Convenor - ACT
Group Buy Associate
2015 Sabbatical Fail
Hey all,

I do know how painful it is when the new guy asks "what hmmm should I buy?" But I'll only be new for a bit and could really use your help and expertise.

I have an Edwin Jagger Super Badger that I bought from the ShaverShop - as I was there and it sounded fine, it went with the DE86 and I dumbly listened to the sales kid. But now that I've had a few shaves I can see its not really 'the one for me' (I also realise many will say you cannot have but one brush….and judging by my history with other hobbies this is going to be the new bane for my poor other half).

So I am looking for better backbone while maintaining a nice balance of softness and exfoliating massageability (is that what 'scritchiness' is?) I'd like a thick knot and/or short loft. I find I prefer face lathering - though have yet to develop a preference for soap or cream (though don't mind the Cella I have at the moment and what to try some Wool Fat) so would prefer a thick handle and it don't need to be too long.

I'm already pretty well set on a Simpsons. I found in the past a good solid brand helps set a healthy baseline to progress, and compare, from.

I started looking at a Duke or Chubby first - since that's the well worn trail taken by the many hooves that have gone before. This could be because they are two of the best brushes or it could be that it's because that's how herds operate - I'm not sure. But the Classic 2 was recently suggested to me - and that looks pretty darn good actually!

So any confirmation or suggestions on the most fitting or appropriate Simpsons?

Cheers,
Mark

I've had a few conversation posts with stills and offered my thoughts, perhaps you guys can help out with your suggestions?

Regardless that you want a badger for the main brush, a boar is good to have as a comparison, and are cheap enough to have around. Ideal for travel too, no one ever cried over losing a $10 brush.

Here's some http://connaughtshaving.com/omegabrushes.html

My own picks, cos I have them, are the 10005 and 11137

Last edited:
I'd probably go for a Commodore X2 first. The cheaper ones for someone starting out is a better idea. I know Drubs had one but it is still a good brush, and useful in the first 6 months so you don't abuse something more expensive.

I think you should look at a Duke 3 before looking at a Chubby 1. The Classic is also a good buy and probably a better option. I would be looking at the $100-$120 Yankee Bucks area for a second one.

The Chubby is not only hellishly expensive, but you will not learn how to get a good soap/cream & water balance with it. It is simply too dense. But once you have mastered one or two of the lower brushes then go for it!

Big thanks to Drubbing for his patience with my PMs. A true gentleman!

@Drubbing: The boar will come next. DEFINITELY! But, I'd like a nice badger for my 'daily drive'…I work hard, I deserve it ;)

@Monsta_AU: I really appreciate your drilling down on some of the differences. I'd not thought about the density of the Chubby and the learning curve associated with it. A shame really as pricing Simpsons online here in Australia - the Chubby 1 can be had for $129 (ShaverHut - postage included) and I can only find the Classic 1 which goes for $140 (ShaveShed - postage included). Hmmm….If I had to pick today between the Duke 3 and the Classic 2, then I'd go the Classic for form - the Duke looks bigger and like it would splay more. More research, more research….. Big thanks again mate!

Commo x3 would be a nice brush IMO. That would have been my pick if Marks siren song hasn't got me :laugh:

On the boars... **** omega. Get a semogue 620 :)

Be honest my shortlist on boars right now is 620 or 830…esp. since Semogues seem the more easily available here excepting maybe the Omega #48 - which looks HUGE to me and my obviously too small a face.

A shame really as pricing Simpsons online here in Australia - the Chubby 1 can be had for $129 (ShaverHut - postage included) and I can only find the Classic 1 which goes for $140 (ShaveShed - postage included).
I would be careful with those prices, I am not sure if either of those outlets are actually taking orders. I would think that the pricing is old at the very least.

A Chubby 1 from a proper retailer like shaving.ie or Superior Shave (shoutout to @kwigibocity) will run you much higher.

Be honest my shortlist on boars right now is 620 or 830…esp. since Semogues seem the more easily available here

Don't do it. The handles are great but the knots leave much to be desired. I cannot remember the last time I used my 830. Just goes all floppy and is really hard to use. Some of the guys have re-knotted theirs to TGN Badger, and they found that the original knot was splayed to give it bloom but that takes all the backbone out of it. Drubs will tell you it is a 'noodle'. I agree.

I do have a 730HD which is good but only as it is very well stuffed. The issue I have with it now is that it is shedding and I would think I only have a couple of years left in it at most. I have had it about 3 years. It's actually cheaper to buy now than it was 3 years ago via shaving.ie - but I would not buy another.

Go the Omega boars... much better to use. Between a nice Omega Boar and a Simmo's Commodore X2/X3 I think you will be set for the next year. After that start looking at one of the mid-level Simmos brushes.

Last edited:
I would be careful with those prices, I am not sure if either of those outlets are actually taking orders. I would think that the pricing is old at the very least.

A Chubby 1 from a proper retailer like shaving.ie or Superior Shave (shoutout to @kwigibocity) will run you much higher.
Really? Hmmm... so should I press the ShaverHut to ensure they have a Chubby 1 on hand for immediate despatch - as their listing says they have 4 of them available? I'm always partial to a bargain! Or is it that they might be selling a rip-off/conterfeit? Sorry to come across as so naive….

I thought you were talking about a website - an eBay listing is ok. They offer free postage as well as it is local, rather than pay for postage (and the wait) from overseas.

That one is Best Badger - nothing wrong with it but it's like ordering an Aston Martin with cloth trim on the seats.

The Super Badger is much more expensive, closer to $200. I am tempted myself.

I like the best badger more than super. I find the super badger a bit soft and poofy.
Mate that's what I read as well. I have Super in my Edwin Jagger - and I know they don't compare to the Simpsons - but I don't like a brush too soft. Poofy? Well they can never be poofy in my manly hands and on my manly face.;) But the more I read the more I think Best is the best Simpsons grade for me at the moment. The price point sort of helps too…

I thought you were talking about a website - an eBay listing is ok. They offer free postage as well as it is local, rather than pay for postage (and the wait) from overseas.

That one is Best Badger - nothing wrong with it but it's like ordering an Aston Martin with cloth trim on the seats.

The Super Badger is much more expensive, closer to $200. I am tempted myself.

Should I take the eBay link down?
I'd hate to decide to order and find availability 4 had magically became zero...:eek:

Don't want to confuse the guy, by dumping 'everything about badger…' in a couple of posts, but I honestly thin the Super is diminished returns over Best. Beware though, there are no standards in the industry for badger grade, so the EJ Super Badger means nothing, as does Silvertip. Simpsons Best has soft tips, but a firm knot when they stuff them.

Semogues have a few fans here, but yes, I bought a swag of them and found they all flopped out after a few months. Some like that feature, but I found them way too floppy. Nice handles, and that why a few here reknotted them with aftermarket badger.

Don't want to confuse the guy, by dumping 'everything about badger…' in a couple of posts, but I honestly thin the Super is diminished returns over Best. Beware though, there are no standards in the industry for badger grade, so the EJ Super Badger means nothing, as does Silvertip. Simpsons Best has soft tips, but a firm knot when they stuff them.

Semogues have a few fans here, but yes, I bought a swag of them and found they all flopped out after a few months. Some like that feature, but I found them way too floppy. Nice handles, and that why a few here reknotted them with aftermarket badger.
Yeah I've read up a little bit on badger hair grades - and a great handy-billy by Gary Young (I don't know the rules well enough but assume hyperlinking off-board to other Forum sites is probably not kosher). Looking at these characteristics and my requirements today, I still think a Simpsons Best Badger is the best proposition for starters. Yeah sure I could dip into savings and get a Manchurian with ivory…..etc., but I'll not be doing myself much favours I think here. I just want a nice capable brush that I can learn and grow with and which will set me up to be more discerning about what I like and need as well as better inform my future 'upgrades', 'side-grades', etc.

If we say an Omega boar is in my short-term future, which is the most recommended source? Is this an overseas purchase?

Commo x3 would be a nice brush IMO. That would have been my pick if Marks siren song hasn't got me :laugh:

SYD you're being daft. I once knew a Semogue fan who would make your fanboyism pale in to insignificance. I ended up ripping his brushes apart and putting in real knots for him. I think that included a 620.

@stillshunter Don't be fooled by what people say about Semogue brushes. They do have nice handles but the way they construct their knots is designed to fool you in to believing their bristle quality is softer and therefore (in the eyes of people that think badger hair is the ultimate standard) superior. They splay the bristle out from the base of the knot which reduces the density at the working end. The result is a reduced backbone and less initial scritchyness (which all boar bristle exhibits during break in) which leads people to believe they've got the Nirvana of boar brushes. Check their website and see the pictures of splaying knots and then compare that to pictures of Omega brushes. Standard knot boar brushes don't splay like that ever, even after being used they revert back to their original constructed shape. I've actually taken a few of apart and was amazed at how they state that their knots are 22mm when in fact it's based on no more than 16-17mm diameter of bristle. I think @Mark1966 posted a picture of the knot that fell out of his handle that illustrates it too.

On the other hand if you've got a face like pansy (I say this from behind the safety of my keyboard, SYD is six foot four and looks very athletic) it might work for you. Basically you've got boar brushes and then you've got badger brushes and then you've got something that's neither........Semogue brushes. There are other much smaller Omega brushes you can get online. Unfortunately nearly all are stained to look like badger which is something that nearly all manufacturers do but they're without doubt true boar brushes.

Having said all this, there are plenty that like their brushes but what I'm saying is that it's a manufacturing trick rather than any perceived superiority over other makes. The tips of Omega brushes over time will become softer and you won't lose the backbone which is what people generally like about boar brushes.

I'm starting to sound like a broken record.

Yep, pretty much why I sold my chubby. It's Iconic, but a fuckin PITA, IMVHO...
Obviously you were not following the instruction, either that or the instructions must contain some err 'interesting' language and suggestions for use ;)

Err, i should have mentioned the rule we have about the "G" word…

EVERYONE adheres to it. Rigidly.
Indeed, mere mention of it evoke the genteel nature of the residents and share this comradely in genteel acts of kindness, respects and... ahh fuggedabout it, who am I kidding ? ;)

Yeah I've read up a little bit on badger hair grades - and a great handy-billy by Gary Young (I don't know the rules well enough but assume hyperlinking off-board to other Forum sites is probably not kosher)...........

Nah, nobody gives a damn about linking to other forums. Where's Gary Young hanging out these days? After getting kicked off B&B (no disgrace there, a few here have experienced the same) and then from some other ones I haven't seen his name mentioned anywhere when I occasionally go lurking.

Manufacturer badger hair grade names are a quagmire of inconsistency and outright bullshit. The only one you can pick with consistency is Pure and that's only because it's got a uniform colour.