Hello from our Hallowed Capital

Spot on. Also known as Tassie spotted brown, and heaps of other names. My kids call it Comet.

Yeah, happy with this, even though I let the camera do the heavy lifting. I took a few in landscape, but portrait reduced the depth of field to get the focus right where I wanted it and eliminate the potential distractions, and he's already framed himself nicely in the foliage.

Only one good thing about the ACT, it keeps the majority of Pollies far away from us the majority of the time!

Only one good thing about the ACT, it keeps the majority of Pollies far away from us the majority of the time!
Well observed and something that struck me on moving here from Sydney ten years or so ago. Sort of curious what's legal or decriminalised in this Velvet Cage :rolleyes:
…but again once you get into the swing of it - and it takes a while - the place kind of grows on you.

Just checked my field guide and I'd say that's a Boobook. For some unexplained reason I've always been extremely unlucky with spotting owls. Don't know how many times I've heard somebody tell me I should have been there ten seconds ago. Well, if we're on the subject of raptors in the front garden and given that stillshunter appears to be a bit of a twitcher and doesn't mind his thread being high jacked just a little bit, I just manged to quietly open a window and quickly snap this Goshawk with a bog standard compact camera (no time get hold of my son's Jesus machine). This one was camped there all of ten seconds before flying off with whatever it had caught.

goshawk4.jpg

More than happy for this thread to meander where it will especially if it gets folks posting images….at least photography I do know :oops:

On that note, a sweet shot even if 'with just a compact'. To me the camera's secondary (actually tertiary) to the eye and so invest little in the big…gest toys. As a famous photog, Robert Capa said "The best camera is the one you have with you". On this occasion a great stroke of luck you had the compact at hand - I reckon the sharper more detailed shot of a pot plant, rock and fallen log wouldn't have been half as great an image - i.e. one taken with a "Jesus machine"…never heard that one before, CLASSIC!. Must have been a buzz to see a Brown Goshawk that close!

BTW: I'm not so much a twitcher, but being out on the property it's interesting to know and understand what's passing through the neighbourhood - I'm just as into the furry fauna - and even the seasonal fungus, orchids, etc.

@borked - LOL - so untrue but a common misunderstanding. They spend little time here in CBR - mostly in their electorate.

@stillshunter - AHHH, so now I understand. You are one of those New South Welshmen gentleman farmers who come into town here and take our jobs, use our hospitals and health services, clog our roads and generally be a nuisance - all without paying ACT taxes!

After only five years living in CBR after moving from SYD I'm already aware of the scourge of these parasites ;)...

Last edited:
@stillshunter - AHHH, so now I understand. You are one of those New South Welshmen gentleman farmers who come into two here and take our jobs, use our hospitals and health services, clog our roads and generally be a nuisance - all without paying ACT taxes!

After only five years living in CBR after moving from SYD I'm already aware of the scourge of these parasites ;)...

OUCH! Man that's as harsh as shaving with a freshly smashed long neck. :( Having said that, every word of it is so true. We are parasites, but keeping to type I feel compelled to complain that:
a) the jobs are boring…but necessary…I s'pose,
b) I've never waited so long in a casualty/emergency ward, EVER, and I grew up in Western Sydney,
c) Canberra drivers are a breed-apart….and the obsession with roundabouts is annoying but the creation of so many bottlenecks (literally two lanes into a single lane in congested areas) is baffling, and
d) a nuisance? well one needs to wake the dead….

I love the state v. state rivalry. At least you didn't talk sport as the ACT folks have us beat ther…..oh who am I kidding they are second-rate there as well o_O

But back on topic ....

So I understand that you have an EJ86 - a modern classic razor. Relatively mild but a great shave.

The challenge when starting out is often to find a good razor/blade combo (different blades perform differently in different razors). While beginning though it is often better to find an acceptable blade and stick with it until your technique is mastered then look around for alternatives.

We have a clear preference here for vintage blades, courtesy of @Monsta_AU, and they are great to play with as well.

My fav for starting out is the Astra SP or Personnas but others might chime in too ....

Back on the real topic....

Commute
Between
Roundabouts

Cold?
Bloody
Refrigerator!

Crikey!
Bloody
Retards

Intriguing game that :)

@Mark1966 you may be accurate, yet why spoil the illusion and only justification for hell upon Earth ?

Complete
Bastard
Roadusers

Circular
Bloody
Roads

One of the many things that does my head in about Canberra is the little local shopping centres in every sub-suburb*. How do they survive, it is like some mad town planner was/is playing Simcity and printed out his town plan and some other idiot pen pusher/town planner thought it was the plan for Canberra.

And, whilst I am ranting, the beautiful four lane roads that go for miles to get from one suburb to the next, it is so artificial. The only places we have big stretches of road between suburbs is because there is a river or a mountain in the way.

*sub-suburb is a term I just though of to describe each little group of streets that the town planners in canberra insist on creating.

@stillshunter PM me your address and I'll send a few blades up to you.

@stillshunter PM me your address and I'll send a few blades up to you.
Mighty kind of you mate, PM sent.
Be nice to try something beyond my Derbys (pretty blunt but plenty smooth) and Astra SP (pretty sharp but plenty irritating….not sure why) to routining slice this copper-wire growth off me face...

I will send you a couple of packs too - even some of the hallowed GBE's. Address to PM and I will get them on the way.

I will send you a couple of packs too - even some of the hallowed GBE's. Address to PM and I will get them on the way.
Big thanks mate - PM sent. At this rate I'll be pretty clear on my preferred 100 pack buy sooner than I thought.

I was going to offer to send some blades too - can somebody, either sender or @stillshunter please post was is being sent so we don't double up?

You guys are mighty generous. Big thanks.

Tabac, hey? I remember this was the standard for my old man when I when I was shorter than the vanity unit. The look of the logo is pretty vivid but have zero recall on the scent - looking forward to what memories flood back once I pop the top on it.

I have thrown in 2 each Indian Wilks, Iridiums, Polsilvers, White Plats, then one English Wilk, and an Aussie Spoiler.

Then there's a few assorted newbies, Dark Plats, Permasharps, Silver Blues, and a pack of GBE's.

Tabac, hey? I remember this was the standard for my old man when I when I was shorter than the vanity unit. The look of the logo is pretty vivid but have zero recall on the scent - looking forward to what memories flood back once I pop the top on it.

Think a brand new leather belt, then soaping up Imperial Leather on it.

OK, well what I was going to send is covered!

I can't think of much left that I have anyway.