Recommend me a brush

mr626

ARKO! TERMINATOR!
Hello gents,

Briefly, this is my brush history:

-Started with a Semogue 1470. Had no problems with this at all, but I noticed the bristles didn't remain firm for very long.
-Now using a 'generic' Silvertip from shaving.ie (the one that was on special). I quite like this- the bristles seem to remain firm and it lathers very well. I was amazed when I got it how heavier it was!

What I would like in a brush:

-Firm bristles that stay firm
-Good quality overall- something that will last
-'Medium' sized
-Prefer a wood handle, but happy to look at other options
-Would like to pay maximum of $50 posted

So, I figure I'm up for a good quality boar.

What to get? And where to get it? Bonus points if its somewhere that also sells a good range of creams/soaps (so I can combine postage).

Thanks!

These are the OMEGA Pure Bristle Brushes you're looking for. $50? Not even close for boary goodness.

I have the 102 - Big. Fat. Firm. Probably too big for most people, even me sometimes.

The 10005. 24/55. A sweet spot for Boar IMO. Good grip. Wood handle. Cheap. Bulletproof. Soft tips, firm knot. Can get pretty soft if soaked too much (but doesn't need to be), but still firmer than a Smog.

10777. Bit smaller than the 05. Very firm. Handle a bit small.

10029. Baby Pro. Holds more lather than the 77, has more give in the knot. A nice brush.

I've only tried one dyed and banded, and the knot is quite different to the plain ones. Sort of mats up a bit more like the Smogs, without going sloppy.

Last edited:
So, I figure I'm up for a good quality boar.

What to get? And where to get it? Bonus points if its somewhere that also sells a good range of creams/soaps (so I can combine postage).

Thanks!

No, a cheap horsey will do what you want. On your budget you should be able to get a decent Horsey and a boar, including postage!

Horse Shaving Brushes - Gifts&Care

Pick one you like the look of. I personally bought Vie-Long Horse Hair Shaving Brush 13710 - Gifts&Care although the wood-handled brushes are some of the more expensive ones - HOWEVER there are some great acrylic handles there.

Buy a boar at 10 Euros ($12.50) and a horse for <20 Euros ($25) and you will be pleased.

Two good suggestions, thanks guys.

I should have mentioned re horse hair- have a #6 brush from bestshave on the way. Pretty sure they are horse hair?

Two good suggestions, thanks guys.

I should have mentioned re horse hair- have a #6 brush from bestshave on the way. Pretty sure they are horse hair?

I'm not certain. They could be, but I know the VieLong brushes would kill it for quality.

In looking at brushes I'm consistently impressed with the value and quality of the Tweezerman brushes. Nothing fancy just a good usable brush.

No, a cheap horsey will do what you want. On your budget you should be able to get a decent Horsey and a boar, including postage!

Horse Shaving Brushes - Gifts&Care

Pick one you like the look of. I personally bought Vie-Long Horse Hair Shaving Brush 13710 - Gifts&Care although the wood-handled brushes are some of the more expensive ones - HOWEVER there are some great acrylic handles there.

Buy a boar at 10 Euros ($12.50) and a horse for <20 Euros ($25) and you will be pleased.

Nice suggestion, I haven’t used it yet,but now I am going to buy it soon.

thread necro, but relevant...

I was looking for a brush to replace my aging smog... Didn't want something that was going to play portugese mind games with me again, and came across this thread.

Just pulled the trigger on a omega 102, can't wait!

thread necro, but relevant...

I was looking for a brush to replace my aging smog... Didn't want something that was going to play portugese mind games with me again, and came across this thread.

Just pulled the trigger on a omega 102, can't wait!

Still use mine. Found it a bit big to begin with, and it didn't ahve much give. Softeened up a lot but is still nice and firm, it doesn't splay or flop out. A decent buy.

can't wait!

Anyone know how long Connaught usually takes to ship? I'm betting longer given Christmas is around the corner....

they're pretty good. Should have it out the door the next day after payment. 7-10 post days to get here.

they're pretty good. Should have it out the door the next day after payment. 7-10 post days to get here.

New brush arrived this morning. Not too bad.

Much bigger than the smog I am currently using! I can see how it may be too big for some. Will see how it goes. Not a huge expense anyway, even if it is too big!

well, just an update to the above, I've been using it since it arrived, and have had no issues with it at all! Definitely not too big, though I do have to be carefull loading soaps from smaller bowls as the brush wants to spread the soap all over the place, but other then that (which isnt the fault of the brush) it's a keeper...

Still need a vintage butterscotch in the stable too .... :)

Last edited by a moderator: