Boots

mr626

ARKO! TERMINATOR!
Gentlemen Blokes,

I am considering purchasing a pair of leather boots. Would like something that can be worn with business-wear, but also fine with jeans etc.

Something like the RM Williams dress boots are the sort of thing I had in mind, although I'd prefer to spend a bit less than the asking price of those, if possible.

Are there any cheaper alternatives to the RMs that are still good quality? Blundstones maybe?

Advise me, P&C bootlickers boot lovers!

I think RMs are probably the best; they're recognised as dress up/down boots. They're worth the money, they last a seriously long time. You do need to get on with leather soles though, they can be hard work.

First of all, excellent use of the strikethrough!

I would have a look at your local Rivers Clearance store, or even online: http://www.rivers.com.au/catalogdb/catalog-www.asp?category=5

Generally the quality is pretty good, but they are more for actually doing stuff in rather than being a dress boot that the cockies of Gunnedah and Armidale like to wear.

Blundstones are also more of a 'work' boot than a dress boot. RM's are the way to go for a 'dress up/down" style.

Another vote for nothing but RM Williams as a dress boot.

I have a pair of 'seconds' from the clearance store in CBR (nothing really wrong with them IMHO) and a made to order pair of Kangaroo Craftsman with the Comfort Sole that I got for my birthday a couple of years back from here - cheapest place to get them that I could find.

Sensational boots, especially the Kangaroo ones ...

Last edited:
The last pair of boots I bought were Blundestones from their new casualrange and I went through three or four pairs in a fortnight because the studs kept falling off. Settled for a refund and whinge in the end. I sent them an email and never heard back.

The genral run of the mill Blundestones are pretty work wear/tradie styled and not really suited for a dress-up boot.

Do Rossi have anything suitable? http://www.rossiboots.com.au/catalogue/dress-boots

My internet speed is shaped so I am struggling to bring much up, bloody kids watching youtube vids.

Last edited:
Another vote for RM. Got a couple and u can get them re soled when needed so they get cheaper over the years due to the amount of wear.

Try the seconds store :)

Haven't seen much in the way of Rossi dress boots but they make a great sett of steel toe elastic siders

It's a late reply, but if you have not yet purchased a pair I really do recommend it. I've a pair of RM Williams 'Craftsman' boots, purchased them back in 2010 and wore them almost every waking day until earlier this year when I purchased some safety boots for work and I now wear the RM each evening and on weekends. I rid the motorcycle with them on (gear lever is doing a bit of damage sadly), have had them resoled once, now on a rubber sole replacing the original leather, a bit more comfortable, put on my a local boot repair/key cuter type person. Also I let mine get very ratty, didn't polish or maintain them for years, the repairer polished them when he had them and I felt like I received a brand new pair in return, now I keep up the polish and always look sharp.

It's a late reply, but if you have not yet purchased a pair I really do recommend it. I've a pair of RM Williams 'Craftsman' boots, purchased them back in 2010 and wore them almost every waking day until earlier this year when I purchased some safety boots for work and I now wear the RM each evening and on weekends. I rid the motorcycle with them on (gear lever is doing a bit of damage sadly), have had them resoled once, now on a rubber sole replacing the original leather, a bit more comfortable, put on my a local boot repair/key cuter type person. Also I let mine get very ratty, didn't polish or maintain them for years, the repairer polished them when he had them and I felt like I received a brand new pair in return, now I keep up the polish and always look sharp.
First off Dewy, I didn't realise you wore footwear.
How pricey was the replacement sole by your local cobbler?

First off Dewy, I didn't realise you wore footwear.
How pricey was the replacement sole by your local cobbler?
It's funny, most people believe I wear footwear to bed!

Resole, iirc was somewhere in the realm of $100, he also patched (very well) a small hole near my little toe in one of the shoes that has - a year on - not resurfaced.

If you know your size and are willing to buy overseas, i would strongly recommend Herrings and Pediwear. They carry highly recommended European brands and have very competitive prices.

Gentlemen Blokes,

I am considering purchasing a pair of leather boots. Would like something that can be worn with business-wear, but also fine with jeans etc.

Something like the RM Williams dress boots are the sort of thing I had in mind, although I'd prefer to spend a bit less than the asking price of those, if possible.

Are there any cheaper alternatives to the RMs that are still good quality? Blundstones maybe?

Maybe a bit late but saw an article on the ABC news website re soldier's boots from WW1 to the present day. http://baxterfootwear.com.au/

Gentlemen Blokes,

I wore RM's for years but due to my balance/hip issues from a vehicle accident, I found the leather soles too hard on my feet and caused a lot of pain in my hip. I purchased a pair of Ariat's with a rubber/shock absorbing sole and heel. My ego and pride didn't want them (real men have always had leather soles) but this was the best thing I ever did. Boots are a mid-knee length, ox-blood in colour and extremely comfortable. They polish-up extremely well and I wear them to church every week/weddings etc. I recommend them.

10002385_3-4_front.jpg

My preference has always been for Doctor Martens boots.

I don't wear them daily, but they are supremely comfortable. I'm talking about the lower-cut ones, not the knee-high romper stompers.

I have a pair that is currently 19 years old, and the pair before it lasted 14 years.

R M Williams for me - but the comfort craftsman style which is gentler on the feet and body.

Thinking about picking up a pair of Comfort Craftsmans myself now that the rain has started. Have you got a pair in kangaroo, Mark? Read a little bit about how it can crease quite a lot compared to the calf leather. I need a wet weather boot that's appropriate for CBD wear, so less creasing will look a bit neater and be quicker to polish.