Sunglasses

Mine come from the Cancer Council Shop in Melbourne:
Category 3 lens,
Maximum UV protection,
Polarised Lenses to reduce highly reflective glare,
Comply with mandatory requts of AS/NZS 1067:2003 (Sunglasses & Fashion Spectacles)

Cannot be beaten for value nor protection!

kJcntS7.jpg

Much prefer glass but have been wearing polycarb oakleys for the last 3 years. They got scratched last week so figured it was time to go back to the Maui's. So comfortable and love the lenses.

Maui all the way. Their customer service is also fab. They’ll fix up scratches for a nominal fee. I prefer the lightness of their Maui pure lenses but they’re just so well made.

anyone looking for a good O/S retailer for sunnies, I can recommend (highly) this place https://www.pretavoir.co.uk/au/. Picked up some raybans from here not long ago, half the price they were locally, delivered by courier within two days.
Sorely tempted to pick up a pair of Serengeti Merano from here, but then I remember I have a 4 year old that is in to everything, and will undoubtedly either scratch, lose or break them.

I’m firmly in the luxottica camp with ray ban and persol, the latter is by far the better quality.. still hand made in Italy and with glass lenses too (though I have my Rx put in and tinted to g15 with polycarbonate lenses)
The benefits of knowing an optical mechanic who has a local lab..

I just ordered a pair of Maui Jim's yesterday. Had some reward points about to expire unless I used them or topped them up, and they were the best item I could find to use up most of the points.
Mr Preschooler now has his own Spiderman sunglasses so I'm hoping he won't want to play with dads instead.

I've just bought a pair of mau Jim's and have to say I'm impressed they are miles ahead of the makos I had before them.

After breaking a pair of Spotters (my fault), leaving another pair somewhere and then losing a pair of similar Mako's to the bottom of a lake when I fell off a SUP (albeit all this over about 15 years so not too bad going), I've gone looking for cheaper solutions. Also got sick of the weight of glass lenses when cycling - nothing stops them sliding down my nose when I've a sweat up... or I'm looking over the side of a boat on a hot day!

But then my stand in wraps I bought from a servo lasted all of five minutes before the frame broke so that's not a solution.

After significant research on Australian and international standards, I went for a pair of UVWraps wrap around sunnies from Bunnings. Fully compliant with all the latest standards for UV protection (including at the right level), 99.9% as clear as the Spotters penetrator lenses I used to have (these are pretty good...), much lighter so they don't slip, fully polarised with orange high contrast lenses (great for a day on the water) and fully compliant for impact protection too (I also ride a motorbike with the visor up in summer and glass lenses are not the best idea for impacts). A nice grippy material behind the ears also helps on the ones I have. Reasonably robust and stylish too, although I'm not trying to impress anyone either. The only downside is the potential for scratches so just have to be careful on that front.

But at under 30 bux per pair, if they get scratched or I have to get a new pair every year, I am still well in front. My new favourites...

I standardized on two pairs about 20 years ago, and have not deviated since.
  • For day to day use: Maui Jim 'Kahuna'
  • For driving/sporting: Serengeti Carrara with Driver lens

By all reports Maui Jims lenses are fantastic, some of the frames are a little meh.

I standardized on two pairs about 20 years ago, and have not deviated since.
  • For day to day use: Maui Jim 'Kahuna'
  • For driving/sporting: Serengeti Carrara with Driver lens
It was a tossup between Serengeti and Maui Jim's. The MJs won because I could use reward points which were expiring within the next two weeks. Not the most efficient use of rewards points, but Virgin doesn't offer competitive flights out of Darwin and these points had say unused for close to 10 years.

My wife was very disappointed with her Maui Jims.
Onelense pitted badly and she was brushed off by the seller.